Grief Serum

As soon as we made it back, we went to talk with Newt. Gally was there as well.

"She found this." Thomas said.

"It was inside a Griever. Last night I pulled it out of the body but I dropped it when I heard another one nearby." I said.

"It's the same logo that's on our supplies." Newt observed.

"Yeah, that proves that whoever put us here obviously made the Grievers." Thomas said.

"Isn't this the first thing you've found in years, Minho?" I asked. He nodded.

"We have to go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us." Thomas said.

Newt was silent as he held the cylinder and looked over at Gally for his opinion.

"You see what he's trying to do, right?" He started. Here we go.

"First he breaks our rules and now he wants us to abandon them completely. The rules are the only thing that's ever held us together! Why now are we questioning that?" He argued.

"If Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me." He said.

I found out off Minho on the way back that Alby had been stung when they went out into the Maze.

"These shanks, need to be punished." He said, pointing at Thomas and I. He was slowly starting to convince Newt. I could see it.

"Your right. They broke the rules. One night in the pit and no food." Newt decided.

"Oh, come on Newt. You really think that's going to stop her from going into the Maze?" Gally argued.

"No, and we can't just have non-Runners going into the Maze whenever they feel like it. So let's make it official. Starting from tomorrow, you're a Runner." Newt said.

"Wow." Gally said before leaving the room. Minho nodded and left as well.

"Thank you." I said. He nodded.

I hesitated slightly before leaning over and embracing Newt in a hug. He stiffened and leant away slightly. As I pulled back, I gave him a small kiss on the cheek. I could see his cheeks redden.

"Thank you." I said again.

Minho, Thomas and I left the Homestead and walked towards the Deadheads.

"What was that?" Thomas asked. I shoved his shoulder and walked past him.

"Where are we going?" I asked Minho.

"You'll see. Thomas hasn't seen this either yet." He answered cryptically.

We walked for about another ten minutes or so. I could see a shack just ahead.

When we went inside there was a large cloth on top of a round table like object in the middle of the room.

Minho walked up to it and ripped the cloth off. It was a table, I was right but there were hundreds of little sticks that were set up in the middle. They were in a pattern and I could see that the square in the middle was the glade.

"It's the Maze, isn't it?" I asked. Minho nodded.

"All of it."

"All of it? I thought you guys were still mapping it?" Thomas questioned.

"There's nothing left to map. I've run every inch of it myself." He paused.

"Every cycle. Every pattern. If there was a way out, I would have found it by now." He said sullenly.

"Why haven't you told anyone?" Thomas asked.

"Let me guess. It was Alby's choice." I said. Minho sighed.