The Flare

It was almost completely silent, except for the heavy breathing of the boys around me.

Suddenly, behind me there was light. We all turned around and faced the door.

I pushed it open and stepped outside.

The boys followed me out. Thomas was the last out, looking down either side of the corridor. Apart from the light above us, there was no other source of light as far as we could see.

I heard a loud click from behind me and I turned around. In the distance, I could see lights turning on one by one. Each making a loud clicking noise when it turned on.

We followed Thomas, who had taken the lead and started walking down the same way the lights had gone.

We walked for what seemed like hours but probably wasn't very long at all. We finally found a door. Around the handle, there was rust. The doors colour was faded and when Thomas pushed the handle down, you could tell it needed oil. Above the door there was a sign.

Exit.

"Seriously?" Frypan asked the question that everyone was thinking. No-one had said anything yet and his voice carried down the path.

I heard the sirens on the other side of the door and I could see the lights flickering even before Thomas pushed the door open on its squeaky hinges.

There were bodies littering the floor and on the right side there was a glass window that revealed two bodies on top of operating tables with a white cloth on top of them.

I gripped Newt's hand and he turned to look at me.

I saw Thomas kick a gun out of a doctors hand. I don't know how I knew what it was but something told me that if you gave me one I could disassemble it, reassemble it and tell you what each part did.

At the end of the hallway, there was a set of glass doors. Thomas pushed them open and we all filed inside.

I could see a large black table in the middle of the room and it had steps to walk on top of it and computers on either side of it. On the other side of the room there was a light that was showering sparks every few seconds and I made a mental note not to get too close.

Newt dragged me to an outer table that had images of a brain on it.

"So they were watching us." He said angrily.

I saw Thomas push a button and on my right, a screen came on. Ava Page was sitting at a desk.

"Hello, my name is Doctor Ava Page and I am director of operations at the World In Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department or W.I.C.K.E.D for short." She paused.

"If you're watching this that means you have successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there to congratulate you in person but circumstances seem to have . . . prevented it." Doctors were rushing about behind her.

"I feel right now that you all must be feeling confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you that everything that has happened to you. Everything we have done to you, is for a reason." She paused again.

"You won't remember but the sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire, famine." The screen flicked from images of fire and burnt vehicles.

"Suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable." The screen flashed with more images of burnt cities and burnt people. Dead people.

"What came after was worse." She continued.

"We call it the Flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain. " the screen showed us a disease attacking brain cells. It then flicked to someone showing us a brain that was covered in blue and black patches.