Chapter 1

SAPPHIRE's P.O.V.

I was waiting for Jake to come home; it's been a week since he left and I don't know what the hell is happening to him.

Jake is the only family I have left; I can't lose him too.

Ever since Mom died three year ago, Jake has been going out a lot, and not to drink or party and come home drunk. He would go out and not come back for days. We wouldn't tell me where he was going or what the hell he was doing.

Whenever he would come back home, he'd have wounds and bruises on him.

I'm just afraid one day he'd come back in a body bag, or he might not even come back at all.

I heard a knock on the door. I quickly got up from the sofa and went to open it.

It was Jake, and as usual he was covered in a few bruises on his face, but this time was worse. There was gash on the side of his face.

"What happened?" I asked as he stepped inside. I shut the door and locked it. He was heading to the kitchen, while still staying silent.

"Jake" I say, "What happened?"

"It's nothing." He was heading towards the fridge. "I was doing my job but it got out of hand, but you don't have to worry I fixed it before I got home."

I sighed and leaned against the wall with my arms crossed.

Jake fishes out a Tupperware from the fridge and tosses it at the table. He grabs a spoon from the dish rack.

"Want me to heat that for you?" I ask while his back was still turned.

"No, it's fine—why are you looking at me like that?"

"You really expect me not to worry when you came back looking like that?" I pointed out. "What the hell have you been doing?"

"Jeez, can we talk about this in the morning? Or at least let me eat first" He speaks out with an eye-roll as he sits down.

"I'm worried about you, Jake" I sniffed as my tears blurred my vision, "And I'm scared if you're ever going to come back or not every time you leave" I pull myself from the wall and head to my room, my tears falling down my face.

I locked the door on my room and went to bed. I pulled the covers on myself and let myself cry.

He was never like this. He was never this reckless. I'm not asking for a normal life, in a place like this it's impossible. I just want him here with me, I want him safe.

I can't lose him too.

"Sapphire?" Jake knocked on the door, "Can you open the door? Please?"

"Go away!" I sniffed, wiping my tears with my blanket.

"Please?" He pleads on the other side of the door.

Ugh, I can never stay mad at him. Sighing, I got up from my bed and went to unlock the door.

I open the door and look up at him, a frown etched on his face. He gently pulls me in for a hug and I wrap my arms around him.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry"

"What happened to you?" I asked, "Why are you covered in bruises?"

He sighs, "It's a long story, okay? I'll tell you everything in the morning. Please stop crying, I hate seeing you like this"

"Okay" My voice sounded weak. I pull away from him as he did so and he kisses my forehead, telling me 'goodnight'.

The next day, to my surprise, Jake was here. Can't say I'm not happy with that. He was downstairs cooking. The entire house smelled really good because of the food.

"Smells great" I voiced out my thoughts as I stepped in the kitchen. There were plates set on the kitchen island, with a lot of bacon on one plate and the other had some sunny side up, there was also toasted bread, some fruits, which was really shocking since Jake isn't really about the healthy stuff. I sat on one of the chairs as he turns to me and places some bacon down on the plate with the egg before pushing it to me. He takes a fork from the dish rack and hands one to me.

"Thanks" We both had breakfast in silence, and it wasn't the awkward type of silence. It felt...comforting.

When we were both done with breakfast, I told him that I'd do the dishes instead, even though he didn't want me to.

I cleaned the kitchen Island up and set the dishes in the sink and began to wash them. While I was in the middle of cleaning the dishes, I heard Jake's voice in the living room.

And he didn't sound too happy.

What could that be about?

I placed the last dish on the rack and wiped my hands on the kitchen towel and headed to the living room.

Jake was livid, the back of his neck was red while he talked on the phone. He was at the window with his back facing me.

"I just got back; I can't just leave my sister alone!" His voice was getting louder.

"Jake" I call out. He turns to me, the frown on his face slowly fading but his face was still red.

"I gotta go" He says before ending the call.

"Everything okay?" I ask.

He sighs, "Yeah, just a problem at work" He says as he stuffs his phone in his pocket, "But it's nothing big"

"If you need to go, then go. I don't want you to have any problem with your job because of me" I tell him.

"Sapphire"

"It's fine, Jake" I tell him honestly. "Besides, I know you'll come back" I added. He grabs his jacket that was on the couch.

"I swear I'll come back home as soon as I can" He says as he puts it on.

"Just stay safe" I tell him.

"I will" He kisses my forehead and steps out of the house.

Sighing, I lock the door and sat down on the couch. My eyes landed on the algebra book under the small, worn-out, coffee table in the middle of the room. I reached out to it and flipped the pages as I leaned back on the seat.

Jake is a very smart guy; he learns everything so quick it's crazy. It's a shame he never really got to finish school though, it was hard to earn money and we couldn't afford a lot of brand-new school supplies. I got made fun of it a lot.

He only finished up until tenth grade, he decided to stop since he wanted to help my mom with the bills and to keep sending me to school.

I remember those times he would help me with my homework, he would just take one look at the examples of these algebra formulas and he would know how to answer it.

Here am I, just fresh outta senior high and currently waiting for a college scholarship.

I wanted to stop studying and just help him with all the expenses in the house but he refused. He said he didn't want me to end up like him.

I really wish he wouldn't think of himself like that. He's a good guy.