Chapter 9

I was walking in this huge garden at the facility at around noon. It was filled with a bunch of different floras. Some of it had bright colored petals, and some had different colors on the flower. There was a huge acacia tree in the center of the garden. The trunks were so wide that it could probably shade dozens of people with no problem, and it was tall, really tall.

There was no one here, I guess everyone in the facility is just too busy on their jobs in their offices.

I was really happy when they told me I could go to the garden; I didn't really like being locked up in my room. Those walls made me feel like I was being locked up or something.

Nurse Jenny was with me. She hasn't been talking that much and I really want to know why.

I guess this is the perfect time for that.

"Nurse Jen?" I turn to her. She turns her attention to me.

"Yes?" She replies.

"Is everything okay? It's just... you've been very quiet these past few days" I tell her. She looks around before stepping closer to me. She had a fearful expression on her face.

"Tonight, when they turn off the lights at your room. Don't take any of your pills and wait for me. Okay?" She says in a hushed tone.

"What? Why?" I ask, curious and scared.

She gently holds my arm. "I just need you to trust me, okay? I'll tell you everything later."

I nod. "Okay." She lets go of my arm and sighs.

What the hell is happening?

The rest of the time we spent in the garden was quiet. This is scaring me, luckily the medicine seems to be working since I'm no longer experiencing panic attacks. It's been two weeks since I began taking it.

Nurse Jenny began to tell me stories, it was about her and Jacob, her boyfriend. This was where they met, under this acacia tree.

That was three years ago.

There was this twinkle in Nurse Jenny's eyes when she spoke about him. She was glowing.

She really loves him.

Jacob is a doctor; he works with Dr. Charles and Dr. Johnson. Nurse Jenny told me that he was in his thirties, and that she doesn't have any problem with their seven years age gap.

She's 24.

She showed me a picture of him. It was the two of them, Nurse Jenny had her arms around his torso and his arm was on her shoulder. They were both smiling.

He was good looking. Blonde hair, green eyes. His face was chiseled as well. And he looked tall and well built.

She then goes and tells me another story about them. It was nice hearing her telling me stories again, she had that smile on her face that was gone for days.

We headed back to my room. My lunch was already set up when we got there.

Dr. Johnson was also in the room, he was going through his tablet. He looks up at us and stops what he's doing and sets the tablet down.

"Dr. Johnson" I hear Nurse Jenny greet. He gives her a thin smile.

He greets her back. "Dr. Charles is looking for you in the lab," He tells her. I look at her and she does the same before looking at back at him. She turns on her back and steps out of the room.

"You look happy" I hear Dr. Johnson speaks up. "I take it you had a good time at the Garden?"

"Yeah, I did," I reply. "The garden was beautiful."

"Good. Good. I have something important to tell you, it's about your blood analysis."

"Oh, what about it?" I ask, feeling nervous all of a sudden. I'm not sick, am I?

He pats the bed and I went to sit there.

"Tell me, Sapphire. When was the last time you were sick?" He asks as he pulls a chair from the table and sits on it, his body facing me.

I thought about it. "When I was a kid, probably six or seven".

"Your antibodies are potent. We believe we can make a vaccine for the C-virus with it. But there's a problem."

"What?"

"We're going to need more than blood samples to make the perfect vaccine. Bone marrow sample, muscle tissue, spinal fluid... It's going to take a lot of testing and it's not going to be quick or easy."

"Why so many tests?"

He leans back on the seat, his steel-gray eyes looking into mine for a moment. "We need to have accurate data. The need for the vaccine is urgent and you... you can help so many people. You can help put an end to this global endemic."

"I..." I'm trying to process everything he's told me. My blood can be made into a vaccine?

"You don't have to worry Ms. Muller, all the tests we will conduct are safe. You will not be harmed in any way." He got up from his seat and steps closer to me until we were about a foot apart.

"Think about all the lives you could save. This will be for the greater good."

"I'm sorry I'm just... I'm just trying to process everything"

He smiles at me. It was a kind one. He sits beside me and places his hands on his lap with his tablet.

"I understand this must be... overwhelming you. If I were in the same place as you, I'd probably be the same"

Seeing Dr. Johnson like this was... odd. He wasn't this... empathetic? Expressive? Usually, when we would talk, he would always be so stoic and professional.

"We just want all of this to be over. I just want to go home" He had a look of sorrow in his eyes.

__________

I just want to give a big thank you to two people @ainesita16 and @SierraDuckland ! Thank you for reading my stories and I hope that I don't disappoint you guys! It's just shocking that someone actually would spend the time to read this story of mine.

I really, really appreciate it!

-dani