Chapter 3

We left the house after my head wound was cleaned up. I heard Piers and his Captain talking about, 'two of hearts'. I wanted to ask what it was but quickly went against it. I didn't want to seem too nosy.

Every building was destroyed, and a bunch of dead bodies was on the ground, civilians, and soldiers. I could still hear gunshots from afar so we moved faster.

The place was crawling with those rebels, I remember Piers shooting one in the arm and it turned into a huge claw.

We were running through this empty street when I saw a blonde girl running with Jake.

"Jake!" It was so good to see him.

He's okay, he's fine.

I ran to him and hugged him.

"You're okay, thank fuck, you're okay" I hear Jake say as he wraps his arms around me. "I went back home and you weren't there. What happened? Why was the place a total wreck?" He asks as we pull away from each other. "What happened to you?" He says as he places his hand on my head, his thumb lightly grazing over the cotton on my head.

"An accident" I reassure him. "A group of guys came at the place; they were looking for you," I tell him.

"Fuck" He swore.

"I got out before they could see me," I add.

"Chris, that man is a wanted insurgent" I hear Piers say.

"He is, but right now he is under the protection of the US Government" The blonde girl replies.

"Jake, who is she?" I asked curiously. She's pretty, all blue eyes and a small face. She's short as well.

"Sherry. She..."

"She?" I raise my brow at him, urging him to continue.

Jake took a deep breath, "She's taking me to America."

I felt my heart drop to the floor, "What?"

"There's just something I need to take care of... There" He couldn't look me in the eye as he spoke.

"What is it?" I ask, "Tell me" I added in a calm tone. "Jake, please?"

He looks behind me and I follow his gaze, it landed to Sherry who was also looking at us.

Sherry looks at me and Jake before hesitantly speaking up, "I... I'm sorry but that information is classified"

"Classified?" Why was it classified? What the hell is going on?

"Hey" I look back at Jake, "I really wish I could take you with me but it's too dangerous"

"Please stop crying" He wipes my cheeks. As he did so, we heard a loud, monstrous scream. Our heads snapped to where it was and we saw this monster, that was taller than the houses heading towards us.

"What the hell is that?" My heart felt like it was about to burst from my chest.

"Alpha team, get ready! You three find some cover!" Their captain speaks up.

"Chris, we can help!" Sherry replies, referring to her and Jake.

"We can take care of this, focus on keeping that girl from harm's way" Chris replies before the rest of their team begins to fire at the monster. I felt Jake pull me as we ran to an empty building.

"You two can stay here, I'll go help, Chris!" Sherry rushes out before Jake could stop her.

"Sherry!" Jake calls out. "Damn it!"

"How long will you be gone?" I ask. Jake looks down at me.

"What?"

"You said she's taking you to America, right? How long will you be there?"

"I don't know"

I was about to say something but I cut off by the loud crash outside. I looked outside and saw Sherry being thrown at the pavement.

Oh my God!

"Stay here, I'll be right back!" Jake tells me and I nod. He rushes towards Sherry, shooting some of the rebels as he runs. I looked around the room, thinking of a place I could hide in while Jake was outside.

My eyes landed on a locker that was near the window. I went to the lockers and stepped inside, shutting the doors.

Minutes have passed by and Jake still hasn't come back, but there was someone else in the room. I could see her through the holes of the locker door. She was wearing a blue dress and a red scarf. She also had a silver attaché case with her. She was looking outside.

She was probably one of those foreigners who was assigned to work in public offices. I didn't step out of the locker, there was something about that woman that seemed suspicious. I sat down in the locker with my knees pulled to my chest. The small space was making me feel claustrophobic but I knew it was safer here.

"Sapphire?" I hear Jake's voice moments later. "Shit! Sapphire, where are ya?"

I stepped out of the locker and replied, "Here, I just hid"

"I thought something happened to you." He lets out a breath of relief. "Come on, the big behemoth earlier is dead."

How they killed that thing, I will never know.

Jake and I stepped out of the building and there was Sherry talking to Chris, with a plane that was on standby. When we were with the group, Jake faces me.

"I need you to stay with them, okay?" He tells me and I nod. "They can keep you safer than Sherry and Me."

"Just promise you'll look for me," I tell him and he nods.

"Of course, I will, Mom will probably haunt me if I don't" He jokes and I giggle. He kisses my forehead and pulls me in for a hug. I wrap my arms around him and say.

"Be careful, okay?"

"I will, I will. I promise" He pulls away from me and kisses my forehead.

"Hey!" Jake calls out from behind. I look behind to see Chris and Piers looking at us. "Take care of her"

"We will" Chris replies.

"We have to go" Sherry walks towards us. Jake looks at me and I smile at him.

He'll be safe, he'll be back. I know it.

Jake runs to the plane and Sherry was about to follow him but I called out to her.

"Yes?" she turns to face me.

"Please take care of him," I tell her, almost pleading. "He's the only family I have left"

"I will" She gives me a reassuring smile before heading towards the place. When the two of them got inside, the door lifts and closes. I watched as the place went up in the sky, slowly getting smaller and smaller in my field of vision.

I felt a hand on my arm and I looked to see who it was.

It was Piers.

"Come on, it's safe for us here"