Chapter Three

Hannah  awakened with a jolt, bolting upright in bed with a small cry.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm right here." Sawyer's arms immediately embraced her, and he pulled her trembling body close to him. She wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his broad shoulder, trying to slow her breathing. As she calmed down, she realized that early morning sunlight was streaming through the window.

"You stayed here all night?" she asked, surprised.

"Of course I did," Sawyer replied.

Hannah  studied his face. He looked exhausted, dark circles ringing his bloodshot eyes.

"Did you sleep?" she asked him.

"Nope," he answered with a shrug of his shoulders.

Hannah  climbed off the bed and went to the window, peering down to the driveway. She noticed that her mother's car was missing.

"Where did Mom and Dad go?"

"Police station. They said they'd be back as soon as they could."

"That's not going to help," she said, hearing the tremble in her voice and hating it.  Tears pooled in her eyes, and she blinked rapidly in an attempt to keep them from falling.

"How about a shower? You need to try to relax," Sawyer suggested in a weak attempt to distract her.

Hannah  nodded numbly and went to her bathroom. She started the shower, making the water as hot as she could bear. As the bathroom began filling with steam, she cracked open the door just enough to make sure Sawyer was still there. He was sitting at her desk, thumbing idly through a magazine. She smiled in spite of herself, knowing deep down that he loved her enough, and was stubborn enough, to see her through this until the end. But how will it end? she thought sadly. She closed the door silently and tried to choke back the fear as she showered. She wrapped a towel around her, realizing that she didn't bring any clothes in with her. She would just go grab some and come back to change. As much as she and Sawyer loved each other, they had never gone further than heavy kissing. She discarded the towel and shrugged into a thick robe before entering her room. Sawyer was still seated at the desk, and he smiled when he saw her. Her hair was damp and curly, her skin pink from the warmth of the water. She was stunning.

"I just need to grab some clothes," she said sheepishly, crossing the room quickly. She opened her closet, and as she studied its contents, she felt Sawyer sweep her hair away from the back of her neck. Her skin tingled as he kissed her gently, his arms encircling her. She turned in his embrace and kissed his lips. 

"You are so beautiful," he whispered. "I love you so much."

Hannah  gazed into Sawyer's eyes. She could see the adoration there, feel it in his arms. She kissed him hungrily, and they stumbled back to the bed.

"Hannah ." Sawyer's breathing was erratic as he broke the kiss, his hands tangled in her hair. His face was flushed, his eyes burning into hers. As badly as he wanted her, she needed to hear what he had to say. "You don't have to do this. I'm not going anywhere."

Hannah  was sitting in his lap, her legs wrapped around his hips, breathing hard. She could still feel the pressure of his lips against hers.

"I'm afraid," she whispered. The tears spilled down her cheeks quickly.

"I'm never going to let anything happen to you," Sawyer swore. Hannah  shook her head and climbed to her feet. She went to the window. Her parents were still gone.

"It's not just that," she said quietly. "I want you. I do. And not just because of what's happening. That's not what I meant."

"What did you mean, then?"