Five

2 months later…
    Emma still wasn’t over the fact that Regina was dead. Her parents had told her it was for the best. Her brother had been locked up for murder but Emma knew that he still had everyone at his beck and call. She lay in her bed, thinking of the first time Regina and her committed themselves to each other. The day that Regina died. Tears streaked her face and she stood up from her bed. She ran to her wardrobe, and began ripping dresses and throwing shoes and smashing glass. Her true love was gone forever. Not a week, or a month, or even a year. She was gone for eternity.
    She remembers the day that her parents had to go to the forest to inform the Mills’ that their daughter had died. She remembers watching Regina’s mother shrivel up in agony and pain, sinking to the floor because her daughter wasn’t going to be queen. Remembers how tears stained Regina’s father’s face, wishing that it wasn’t true. She remembers not eating for weeks, just wanting to taste Regina’s lips again. But she knew that it wasn’t possible. She would never see her again and it was all her brother’s fault.
    She screamed, feeling the blood in her throat rise. The thought of letting it consume  her crossed her mind once or twice. What was the point? Why should she live when Regina is gone and she is stuck on this Hell like prison. She kept a sword in her closet just in case she did want to go. Not a moment went by that she didn’t think of Regina. Every night at sunset, Emma goes out to the waterfall where her and Regina professed their love to each other, and every night, tears slipped down her face.
    In her dreams, Regina was still there. It was usually the same type of dream, where Emma and Regina were bare in her bed. There wasn’t a guard, brother or parent down the hall to wonder what they were doing. The only thing was, it never felt right. This dream was known as the nightmare. Where she would wake up to Regina’s warm skin pressed against her back. She’d turn and kiss her lips softly. But when Emma moved away, Regina’s face would look like she was in pain or she was sad. She’d look towards her stomach and Emma’s eyes would follow. In the middle of her abdomen was a stab wound from her brother’s sword. And Regina would fade into dust, leaving Emma. Alone and cold.
    But there were good dreams. She had thought that they had been Regina’s doing from up above, as if she were watching Emma.Ones where Regina would be out in the garden and Emma would be out, teaching their son how to sword fight. “I can’t do it mommy,” he would say, giving up on the metal piece in his hand.
“You can do it. I promise.” She would always respond. “Can I tell you a secret?” She asked after putting him back in his stance. “I taught momma how to sword fight when we were younger too.”
“You did?”
      Emma smiled, “Yep.” She’d turn to Regina who stood and smiled.
But most of her dreams weren’t pleasant. Most of them were about her brother coming back and killing her. She wouldn’t be joined with Regina though. She would be locked in a dark space, with nothing and no one. Her brother had called it the end. She just called it Hell.
“Emma?” She was pulled out of her remanisance by the sound of her mother’s voice. She didn’t say anything. Instead, as she always does, she stood up and sauntered over to the door. She opened it and raised her eyebrows at her mother.
Tears streaked her face but her mother was used to her “depressed” daughter’s games, “Your breakfast is done. We expect you to actually join us today.” Snow had said the words without emotion and turned to walk back to the dining hall.
“Why do you take his side?” Emma said out of the ordinary. She was looking at the ground but now decided to stare at her mother, burning a hole in the center of her eyes.
“What do you mean? We locked your brother up, he was not stable.” She knew what her mother meant. What she had meant to say was you were unstable and we couldn’t risk you killing our precious, perfect, favorite child. But Emma knew better. She knew that her mother would always hide the real reason her son was locked up. She had told the kingdom that he was away and wouldn’t be back for a while.
“I know that you prefer him over me,” Emma was hurt just from hearing the words come out of her mouth. She winced and another tear fell from her eyes.
She was startled when her mother had grabbed a handful of her hair- the same way her brother did. Emma grunted at the pain, “You are the reason he’s down there. We didn’t ask for this. You think we like having an unstable daughter and locked up son? We don’t! So snap out of your delusions because tonight, everything’s going to change.” Snow had showed fury and anger towards her daughter. She was afraid of her daughter but still held more power over her.
But Emma still had power too. The power to stand up to her parents, especially her mother, “I. Am not. Unstable.”
“Oh but you are. Women are supposed to be with men. Not the same sex. I thought we raised you better. Perhaps your brain doesn’t function quite like us normal people.” Snow had reached for Emma’s hair to move a lock but Emma grabbed her wrist.
“Don’t touch me!” She shoved her mother backwards, and turned around and locked the door behind her. Her mother had given up on her. She was thought to be unstable. Her father was distant, he thought she would marry a man. Her brother was a rotting piece of garbage who was still loved by all even though he had murdered her true love. Everyone had given up. So she was going to give up too.
Her mother was screaming at her from the outside of the wood door, banging on it, trying to enter the room but Emma had locked it.She took a deep breath, and made her way to the sword in her wardrobe. She remembered everything. From the first kiss, to the last I love you. Grabbing the hilt of the sword, she plunged the piercing metal into her chest. Her eyes were open for a split second long enough to watch a drop of blood fall to the floor. Her eyes closed, her mind went blank, and her heart went dead.