Stuck in Time

I spent a few hours in Tulsa with the boys. They were loving it. They loved being back home. They had no way of going back with out the book, which is why they were stuck in my time. It made me happy seeing them happy. But sadly it was time for me to go.

I grabbed my book. "Guys, I have to go. You can come back if you want."

"Shoot yeah we'll be back!" Two-Bit yelled. The boys started hollering, giving a bunch of "Yeah's." Steve did his Indian screech.

I laughed and stuck my hand to the book. It didn't go through. I looked at it and tried again. The same thing happened. That's when I started freaking out. The boys looked at me, perplexed. "What's wrong?" Ponyboy asked.

"I-I-it won't let me go back," I stated. Pony walked up to me.

"How come?"

"I don't know." I was starting to panic even more. I tried again but nothing happened. Soon I was frantically hitting the book, trying to do anything to make it work. "Come on, work!" I mumbled to myself.

"Woah, calm down." Ponyboy grabbed the book from my hands and made me sit down on the couch. He moved the book away so I couldn't grab it.

"I don't want to be stuck here again. I mean I like it here and all, but I have family who will be worried sick about me. And not being able to get back is what makes me so worried. When I have a way back I'm fine."

"Yeah, I know. You will make it, Dandy. We will find a way" He paused for a moment. "Did you bring your phone?"

"No. It's still on my bed. Why?" I was confused by why he even asked that. But then it hit me. I might could call my parents or text them. If it would even go through. But since I couldn't do that another idea came to me. Before Ponyboy even had time to open his mouth I had jumped up and was at the phone.

"What are you doing?" Sodapop asked me. I just shushed I'm and dialed my parents number. I twirled the cord around my finger as I awaited for the phone to ring. It never did. All I got was the operator on the other end. I slammed the phone back down and flopped back down on the couch next to Ponyboy. I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Do you think you keep getting stuck here for a reason?" Johnny asked. "Maybe something is happening at home or something and you don't need to be there."

I looked up and my eyes met Johnny's. He might be right. It's the best conclusion that we have. "Maybe. You might be on to something. Boy, I'm glad you figured something out. I can't figure anything out." I ran my hand through my hair and looked back down.

"Well that's what we're here for," He said with a grin. And I was thankful. My friends said they would be there for me, but it's not technically their fault they're not here. I'm not getting mad at them, but I could really use some of my friends right now. I know I have the boys but it's not the same.

Johnny was not Jennifer. Jennifer always knew just how to cheer me up. She could always get me through tough times. But something tells me this is something that will be hard to help with.

And Dally is not Daniel. While Daniel does take after Dally, Daniel doesn't ignore me like Dally does. Dally isn't exactly the comforting type. You have to get to know Daniel to see more of his comforting side. I guess Dally's like that, but he shows it differently than Daniel if he is.

"Yeah. I'm glad I have you guys with me."

...

That night I tossed and turned in bed. I couldn't sleep. I had too much on mind. No matter how much I wracked my brain I still couldn't find any answers. I wonder if I ever will? I wonder if I will keep getting stuck here? I wonder if I will be stuck here forever?

Finally I must have worn myself out because I finally fell asleep. And I had another dream about my parents. Daniel came by, wondering where I was. My Dad came clean about what he did, about giving me the book. Then my Mom got mad and stared yelling at him. Daniel ended up leaving but I stayed.

"Mom!" I yelled. "Stop it!"

She didn't stop. She didn't hear me. She kept yelling. Why does she keep getting so mad? I couldn't take the yelling anymore. I sat down on the couch and covered my ears until it stopped. When I looked up, Mom was sitting on the couch rubbing her temples.

I walked to my parents room. My Dad was pacing the floor and looked on the verge of tears. I wanted to tell him that it would be okay, but I knew it would be pointless when he can't hear me. Instead I just sat there and watched him breakdown.

After a while there was a knock on the door. My Mom came in and started talking to my Dad. It wasn't pretty either. They began arguing again. Screaming. It only got louder and louder like their first argument was. The one that brought me here the first time. I covered my ears. "Make it stop! Stop!"

"Dandy. Dandy." I head someone say. The voice was distant but it kept getting louder. Finally everything around me disappeared and I jolted awake. Ponyboy was beside me and had his arms around me.

Tears were streaming down my face as I clutched onto his shirt and cried. Darry and Soda were there, too, but they didn't say anything. "Don't fight with her," I finally spoke. "Don't fight with my Mom."

"Shh. It's okay. I won't," He whispered. I don't know why I'm telling him that. It's not like he will end up marrying my Mom. This is a different (I guess) Ponyboy and it's not like there is a younger version of my Mom.

But I didn't care at the moment. His words comforted me and that's all that mattered.