Chapter 10: Lesser Stables

Prince Cogaje led me to the Lesser Stables, taking me through a roundabout way so we wouldn't be caught by anyone and questioned. We didn't spot King Rexon anywhere.

"Hurry," the Prince urged me, taking my hand.

"What if we have to leave tonight," I said.

"Then we leave tonight. I don't think we'll have to do though."

I said nothing as we moved quickly, our feet slapping at the ground. As we neared the Stables, Prince Cogaje slowed down. "Stay quiet," he said, "until we know who's in the Stables. I don't want any stable hands getting curious."

We crept up to the Stables, looking out for any movement.

"I don't see anyone," I said.

"Are you sure?" answered a voice behind me.

Nearly screaming, I turned around, only to find Dinjn smirking at me.

"And I see you've brought the Prince with you," he said.

Prince Cogaje said nothing.

"Does the Prince want something from me?"

"I want to know what you're going to do to help Mistlyn."

"That's for Mistlyn and I to discuss, not you."

"I'm here, and I'm with her, so anything you have to discuss with her, you discuss with me."

"Acting like the King already," Dinjn smirked. "You're not King yet, so tread carefully."

Cogaje crossed his arms over his chest, but said nothing.

"And Mistlyn," Dinjn shook his head at me, "I was hoping you were more secretive. But it looks like you've told your new friend everything."

"He wants to talk to you, too," I said. "He needs something from you."

"Does he now? Well, let's go somewhere more private where we can talk more freely."

Dinjn's two Jinn friends were in the background, watching us. They held daggers in their hands. One had two swords strapped to his chest in an X. He glared at me.

"Come on," Cogaje said, "We can go into the Shack to talk."

"The Shack?" Dinjn said, his eyebrows furrowing. "What's the Shack?"

"My old playhouse. No one goes in there anymore. It's safe from anyone."

I saw movement in the corner of my eye, but when I looked, there was no one around.

"Must be my imagination," I muttered to myself.

Cogaje's Shack wasn't empty when we got to it.