Chapter 16: Meeting Dinjn

"What's that?" I said, stopping.

Cogaje cocked his head to listen better. "I heard someone walking," he said.

"Maybe a gardener?"

The Prince's eyes grew large. "I know those footsteps," he whispered. He grabbed my hand and turned in a direction away from the Shack.

"Who is it?" I said.

"Shhhh, keep quiet," he glared at me.

I bit on my lip, trying to keep up with Cogaje's long strides.

He stopped at a thick vined area, panting. Sitting down, I caught my breath, looking towards Cogaje, waiting for an explanation. The shadows of the tree branches hung low around us.

"So, who was it?" I said.

Prince Cogaje looked towards the distance, craning his neck to see. "Ok, good, I don't think we were followed."

"But who was it?" I repeated.

"My father."

"Then he knows about Dinjn," I said, throwing my hands to my face. "You think Farsooth told him?"

Cogaje shook his head. "He wouldn't do that. Or, at least, I don't think he'd tell on us."

"So your father knows because he overheard us. I saw him nearby last time."

Cogaje nodded. "I know. That means he knows about our plan." Cogaje kicked a tree trunk nearby. "If he knows, there's no way we'll be able to get away." A cold wind blew wrapped around me, like a shroud.

"Why don't we try anyway," I said. "What's the worst that can happen? Besides, we shouldn't keep Dinjn waiting for us. If anything, we need to tell him King Rexon knows about us."

Prince Cogaje looked around again. "I still don't hear anything."

"Are you sure it was him? Maybe the footsteps—"

"No," he shook his head, "It was my father. I'd know his footsteps anywhere. I've done enough things to know his sound, before I get in trouble," the Prince smiled. "And that was him."

"Maybe he doesn't know about us," I offered.

"I highly doubt that. No," Cogaje shook his head, "He'd know about it."

"Did you get blood and his Shard from him?"

"It was too risky. I got it from my siblings, though. That should be enough."

A rustling sound behind us made me jump, clutching onto Cogaje's arm. The Prince moved to stand a little in front of me, in protective stance.

"Gotcha!" Dinjn yelled out, laughing.

"You scared me," I let out a huge sigh, my hand near my throat.

"Did I now?" the Jinn purred.

"What are you doing?" Cogaje hissed. "My father is nearby. He could hear you!"

"No need to get testy, now," the Jinn said, "We can leave right now."

"And we go straight to the Jinn Kingdom and to the Realm of Mote."

"Yes, yes, of course, with a stop at the Roc. You have the blood and Shards, right?"

The Jinn glanced over at me. "And I see the Smoke is still around your neck. Good."

"We both have the blood and Shards," I said.

"Good, then. We can get going right away."

Dinjn's two friends came out of the foliage, their faces stern.

"They're also shadows," Cogaje said.

I saw the two friends as full-fleshed, but then I remembered that Lizsard eyes see Jinns only as shadows.

"Yes, they are. This is Majnoon and Junoon," Dinjn said to Cogaje. The two men nodded at the Prince. He nodded back.

"Well," Dinjn smiled, "Now that we're all acquainted, we can get going. We don't have much time until the Smoke can't be used for another ten years to fill in the Roc's channels."

Dinjn turned to move out of the foliage, but then stopped. "I want the blood and Shards now, if you don't mind."

'No," Cogaje stepped forward. "We'll give you what you need, and something else, once we get to the Roc. When you raise the Dead Ones, I'll give you another gift."

"And what gifts will you give me?" Dinjn looked interested.

"You'll see," Cogaje smirked, "It's what Jinns have been seeking for years."

"For years? It can't be—"

"Oh," Cogaje smirked, "But it can be. It'll be your reward if you've done the necromancy right. But," Cogaje raised his right index finger, "You'll have to bring us all back here, to the Lizsard Kingdom, to get the gifts. Deal?" he extended his index finger to the Jinn.

Dinjn thought for a moment then took the Prince's finger with his own, "Deal."

"Oh, and by the way," Dinjn said, "I'll need you to do me a favor when we get to the Roc. It's simple really, nothing harmful." His eyes told me otherwise.

"What kind of favor?" I said, giving him a suspicious look.

"You'll see when we get there. Deal?"

Cogaje and I looked at each other before replying. "Deal."

The Jinn never made it to the Roc.