Prologue

Prologue

Tick, tok. Tick, tok.

I freeze when I hear the door swing open, my heart pounding times ten. The light entered making me wince.

I knew I was in the basement, chained up. I just don't know how long I have been here. A couple of months, maybe? A couple of years? But, I know for what thing. I was absolutely sick and tired of being here.

I was sick of listening to that damn clock. I can't stand here, being chained up, and treated like I was different.

Though, they were wrong. I technically am different; they don't know, but I know they know they think I am.

I'm an Airbender and a Waterbender. The last one, to be exact. This man has captured me and tortured me to talk, which I have not, obviously.

I haven't eaten in God knows how long, I'm starving. But more importantly, I need to get out of here.

I made eye contact with the man who captured me. I was chained to a pole down in the basement. I had given up crying for help long ago.

"Are you going to talk this time?" The man snapped, glaring at me. He smells like Alcohol. Sometimes, he'd be gone for hours and then comes down and just beats me, not even asking me questions. I kept my mouth shut. "Well, I guess you wouldn't mind talking to this, then."

He holds up a gun and my eyes widen in surprise. Never once has he brought a gun; he only brings out his whip when he needs it or wants it.

I pressed my lips together. I looked down at my hands, time to use them. Using my hands and gathering the wind, I made sure the gun was thrown back into the man's face who groaned and fell to the ground.

"Fuck!" he cursed making me smirk. Not caring that it hurt my wrists, I tugged and pulled as hard as I could on the chains. I let out a whimper as I kept pulling.

Finally, I heard the chains snap and I stumble forward, I gasped in amazing, eyes widening in excitement. I've escaped!

The man was still down, groaning, holding his head. Using my powers, I flicked the gun away from him all the way across the room, and it crashed into the wall, shattering into pieces.

Without thinking twice, I flee up the stairs and slammed the door shut with my powers. I have no time to breathe.

I was panting heavily and squint at the brightness. I've been in the dark for so long, it feels weird entering the light for the first time in forever.

I ran down the hallway, trying to find a way out. I ended someplace where there were couches and that's when I noticed a mirror.

I looked tragic.

I looked like the definition of a lost cause; my dress was ripped and dirty. I looked like I have showered in a lifetime, I probably smell horrendous. Correction; I do. I had bruised eye from last week when he punched me.

My hair was everywhere and extremely greasy, I was super skinny. He would only give me a piece of bread and if I'm lucky; some soup. Rarely some water, I'm surprised I've survived.

Not wasting any more time I dashed out of the door, squinting when the sunlight hits my eyes and I let out a small gasp.

I blinked rapidly, trying to get used to it. Eventually, I did, a few minutes later and I looked around, I was in a neighbour.

My lips quiver, what the hell do I do now?

People walking gave me a curious look, I don't blame them. So, I ran. I ran the opposite direction and not looking back, I kept running into the sunset.

I have no idea how I got here, or how long I have been here for. But, I came across a river which made me desperate for water.

I rushed down to it, my hands begin to shake. I couldn't believe what I had just done. He could be after me for all I know. It was only now I realise I was in bare feet and my feet began to hurt. I was cold, but food and water are my main priorities at the moment.

I stand at the edge, not ready to step on the hard rock. So, I used my Waterbending powers instead. Whenever he would give me some water (if I was lucky), I would practice Waterbending so I didn't forget how.

I used my fingers to drag a puddle of water up into the air, I watched it float in front of me. I drag it towards me and brought it to my lips. I opened my mouth and plopped the water inside, it bursts in my mouth and I gulp it down heavenly.

That felt good.  

"Hey, child!" A man yelled down at me, my heart pounded in fright as I looked over, it wasn't him, but it was a deputy.

I glared at him, what if he was taking me to that man? I didn't take any chances, so, I used the air around me to crash him into the ground. He lets out a painfully yell, he was a young deputy, too.

I took my chance crossing the river, cringing as my feet hurt in the process. I ran, as far and as fast as I could.

I had found some sort of underground hideout, which made me feel happy. I entered it, without a second thought. It was dark, which I didn't mind. I had gotten used to over time.

I stayed as quiet as I could, entering the creepy stairways. I don't know what to expect, and I really hoped it wasn't anything bad. 

So, I went to the very back of the room and crouched to the floor. Once I waited for a few minutes, I sat down on the ground to take a breather.

I let out a whimper, then clamped a hand over my mouth quickly. My head was pounding now, I'm overwhelmed with what has opened in the past 12 hours.

I mentally groan when I heard a snap in the distances and a flash torchlight around the area. Scared, I pulled my legs closer to me. What can a girl do to get a break?

Someone pushed the curtains behind and revealed a man who didn't look too old and he didn't look like he wanted to harm me, which was a good thing. I flinched when he moved closer to me, shining the light and I squint.

"W... who are you?" I stutter out. "Are you here to h-hurt me?"

The persons face softened. "No, I'm not." The person speaks softly. He looked over me. "Are you okay?" I shake my head, letting out another whimper. "You don't need to lie to me, sweetie."

I then nodded. "Are you... are you a cop?"

The man shakes his head. "I'm a Veterinarian."

A/N

Hello everyone! Welcome to a new book I will be hopefully updating frequently on. I happen to have a habit of creating new books then publishing them, and leaving them on hold for like two weeks.

Oops.

But, not this one! I'm determined to get this book finished.

Thoughts on... well, you'll know her name in the second chapter ;)

Also, go Deaton, woop woop. I love him so much, he deserves the world.

Thank you guys for reading! I'll see you need time!