16. Epilogue

Ruby wakes up in a bed. She hears birds tweeting and sunlight is streaming onto the wall behind the bed's headboard. After a few seconds, she looks over to see her father asleep in a chair. She sits up and sighs quietly, causing Taiyang to stir awake.

Taiyang: Ruby!

He gets up and runs to kneel by her bed

Taiyang: You're awake!

Ruby: Ugh... what happened?

Taiyang: Your uncle Qrow found you, unconscious. He got you out of there, though, and brought you home safe.

Ruby looks down in thought for a split second, then looks at her dad.

Ruby: Wait! Yang! Is she alright!?

Taiyang: Uh... She's uh... she's gonna be alright. I think she's just... I think it's just gonna take some time for her to get used to things. She's too strong to let this stop her. I'm just glad to have my girls back at home.

Ruby: What happened to the school?! And Vale?! Were they able to clear out the Grimm?

Taiyang: Things at Vale are under control, but the school... It's... it's not that simple. That thing, whatever it is, doesn't seem to be dead. Don't get me wrong, you did a number on it. But it's not disappearing. It's... kind of... frozen. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but it keeps attracting more Grimm to the school.

Ruby tilts her head

Ruby: I did... what?

Taiyang: Hmm?

Ruby: You said I did a number on it. What do you mean?

Taiyang: I... Look that's not important right now. We can talk about it later. Things are just... kind of a mess.

Qrow: It's always a mess.

Ruby and Taiyang look to see Qrow standing in the room, near the door. He finishes off the contents of his flask before continuing.

Qrow: Mind if we have a minute?

Taiyang: What, I can't stay here?!

Qrow: Tai. Please.

Taiyang stands up, sighs, and then leans in to kiss Ruby on the forehead.

Taiyang: I'm glad you're alright. I'll go make us some tea.

Taiyang glares at Qrow on the way out, but the latter doesn't appear to care. As Qrow approaches Ruby's bed, he grabs the chair and drags it with him. He then spins it around to face the bed and sits in it with a significant slouch, crossing one leg over the other.

Qrow: So, how you feeling?

Ruby: Um... I kind of hurt... all over.

Qrow: *Chuckles* That makes sense, after what you did.

He crosses his arms.

Ruby: You guys keep saying that! That I did something! What are you talking about?!

Qrow uncrosses his arms and legs, leaning forward in the chair

Qrow: What's the last thing you remember?

Ruby: I ran up the side of the tower, and when I got to the top, I...

She gasps.

Ruby: Reaper! Is he...?

Qrow looks down.

Qrow: Reaper... he's gone.

Tears begin to form in Ruby's eyes as she starts to break down crying.