05.

DAWSON'S FOREHEAD IS dripping in sweat as he removes the mask with one hand

DAWSON'S FOREHEAD IS dripping in sweat as he removes the mask with one hand. His blonde hair is glued to his temples like a second skin. He slicks it back and carefully lays the foil on the table next to him.

Fencing is one of the things that Dawson can't live without. It's his lifeblood. And, like all things he is absolutely great at, he'll never miss a chance to let other people know just how good he is.

Milo is not a fencer, but he said he didn't mind walking Dawson to his training and ended up staying throughout the entire session for no apparent reason. Now he's handing Dawson a bottle of water and gifting him with his signature bashful smile.

"Good job today," his personal trainer congratulates him. His name is Mr. Berger. He's French, but Dawson doesn't bother letting him know he fluently speaks his language. He's amused by the way Mr. Berger pronounces the word lunge. As well as any other word of the English vocabulary.

Dawson nods his head once. "See you on Thursday," he drawls before sauntering towards the exit door with Milo on his tail.

"I don't know much about fencing," the ginger-haired boy gasps while trying to keep up with Dawson's pace. "but you looked like a pro back there!"

"You didn't have to wait for me."

"Did it bother you?" Milo scratches the nape of his neck nervously.

"No, just thought you might have something better to do with your day," Dawson explains as he takes a quick deviation. Milo looks baffled until he realizes his friend is heading towards the emergency door and is about to push it open.

"What-- what are you doing?" he runs after Dawson. "We're not supposed to use emergency doors if it's not an emergency."

"Shortcut back to the dorm," Dawson beams at Milo, pleased that the alarm didn't go off.

"There are cameras and--" Milo tries to object, but Dawson is already ten feet ahead of him.

He doesn't turn around as he says, "You comin' or what?"

And Milo doesn't hesitate to follow him, grunting a couple of fidgety "Fuck!" and obsessively looking at the walls of the surrounding buildings in search of video security systems that could catch him red-handed. The high unkempt grass scratches his bare legs.

With Dawson Evans, breaking the rules just comes with the territory and Milo is reluctantly starting to accept that the only way he'll ever be able to bond with Dawson Evans is to play by his rules, no matter how risky or reckless. And he's going to have to juggle all this whilst also trying not to get suspended or, worse, expelled. Throughout his entire school career, he never once got detention and has no intention to start now. However, he needs Dawson to respect him enough to help him win Calliope over. She seems to like him, so maybe he can give him a few tips?