11.

eh not proud of this chapter. hope you guys don't hate it.

"JESUS CHRIST, ABRAHAM!" the words shoot out of him before he can realize that he is, in fact, screaming profanities in the middle of the hallways

"Dude, calm down!" he gasps. "I was looking for you."

"Why?"

Dawson immediately realizes how exasperated he sounds and clears his throat in the attempt of recomposing himself. "You scared the life out of me."

"Nah, you look fine," he shrugs. "Wanna meet my moms?"

Dawson closes the door behind him, then zips up his hoodie. "Are they gonna call you love broccoli again?"

"Possibly," Abe admits, his lips are curved into a wicked half a smile. "they love squeezing cheeks, too."

That sounds absolutely terrifying to Dawson. He recoils from the mere thought of undesired human contact and the very last thing he wants to do on his first free Sunday is meet other people's happy families.

What Dawson wants to say is: Please, leave me alone.

But Abe's eyebrows are raised in expectancy. He never tears his wide dark eyes away from Dawson. And there's no way he can say no to Abraham when the boy is staring at him in so much hope and anticipation. He looks so proud of his family, the kind of proud that makes you want to show everyone how lucky you got.

And, just because Dawson doesn't feel the same way about his parents, it doesn't mean he can't recognize the symptoms.

Hence, what he decides to say instead is:

"Lead the way."

*

Abraham's moms turn out to be better than Dawson expected. They're two lovely women, Catherine and Meghan, and they're both around the age of fifty and they share an unconditional love for their son.

Dawson is thankful for how the whole conversation played out, especially considering how uncomfortable talking about himself always makes him. They asked just the right amount of questions, never getting too personal, never overstepping.

Their smiles looked genuine and heartfelt. Their sweet and nurturing disposition was a breath of fresh air in a place that didn't quite feel like home yet.

"You wouldn't believe it," Catherine says, taking a glimpse of her wife before facing Dawson again. "But I detested Meghan in college."

Meghan laughs charmingly. "You did."

"She was so pedant, it was absolutely nerve-racking," her wife explains and Abraham rolls his eyes.

"Excuse me?" Meghan gushes, "you were the teacher's pet. I can't think of anything more annoying than that."