20.

dedicated to the birthday girls @awexaray and @indigosstories <3 i love you both so much

the song mentioned later in the chapter is a classical piece (piano solo) called "I Giorni" by Ludovico Einaudi

IT'S NOT LIKE THEM to spend their free Saturday at school. Most of the time, Dawson insists on staying and ends up getting outnumbered by the rest of the group. Surprisingly, he became less and less resistant over the weeks. After all, the city of San Francisco is way more appealing than the depressing four walls of his dorm room. It's colorful and lively yet Dawson can't help but compare it to New York City, his city. The loud, chaotic, frenzied New York City. Lots of things happening all at once, lots of stimuli. San Francisco to him was too calm, too exuberant, and just too different.

The whole group is sitting at the cafeteria on a fine Saturday afternoon, talking about anything that comes to mind, and right now, very much to Dawson's dismay, Adam is the main topic of the conversation.

Needless to say, he's been trying to change the topic five times already and he's not sure whether someone is sabotaging each of his attempts or his friends are simply not perceptive enough.

"I don't get what you're trying to say," Cal squints, a strand of hair rebelling out of her hairdo. She unconsciously hurries to put it behind her ear.

"Dawson didn't have to stand up for him the way he did," Abe drawls, exhausted from repeating himself. "I mean, what he did was cool but he really went in heavy with Dennis and I'm saying I don't know if I would have done the same."

He looks at Dawson. "Kudos to you. I'm just not that brave."

Maisie-Rae squeezes Dawson's knee under the table in solidarity, then retracts her hand.

Dawson doesn't care that Abraham is used to hanging on to the sidelines for the dear life. He couldn't care less. His thoughts are elsewhere.

His unresponsiveness catches Milo's attention. He gives him a quizzical look, tilting his head to the side like a puppy, eyes asking "What's the matter?".

Dawson has the blank stare of someone who's just given up trying to get them to talk about Milo's fat cat learning how to turn on the TV by sitting on the remote.

"Adam is his friend," Cal crosses her arms to her chest indignantly, "Would you not go in heavy if that meant helping a friend out of a shitty situation?"

"Oh, but Hamilton is not Dawson's friend," Maisie-Rae pauses. Dawson holds his breath. She gives him a meaningful look. "He's the bane of his existence."