21.

hi, it's been a minute!
unedited and punctuation is all over the place. enjoy <3

AS PREDICTED, Wharton High is deserted, courtesy of the Christmas break

AS PREDICTED, Wharton High is deserted, courtesy of the Christmas break. Maisie-Rae left earlier that same day with Abraham, whose moms picked them both up. Calliope was on her way to Aspen to meet her family in their humble ski chalet.

Milo left the day before. Dawson even got the pleasure of making the acquaintance of his unpleasant dad. At first, he tried to disregard the memories of all the stories he had been told. He wanted to be fair in his judgment, but there was no denying that Mr. O'Connor was, in fact, a rigid man, seemingly as rigorous as depicted in Milo's descriptions. Dawson managed to keep up a polite façade until the man raised his voice at Milo after he had, accidentally, interrupted him. Technically, Milo wasn't done talking when his father took the floor. However, the reproval in his voice was so shockingly violent neither had the courage to speak up.

Dawson disliked him.

However so, he had no chance but to let the boy go away with his father, trying not to let the image of Milo's mortified face stick into his mind. There was nothing he could do. Perhaps, Milo felt in a similar way about the situation.

The room felt oddly quiet without Milo and all his fretful unironical speeches about love and Calliope and friendship and Calliope.

Aside from him, three more people had decided to stay over for the holidays. Hamilton being one of them.

Dawson wasn't really surprised considering Maisie-Rae's warning, but he was determined to mind his own business, maybe book a few nights in San Francisco and enjoy Christmas time in the city. Needless to say, staying away from Adam wasn't always easy. Especially when the two were practically neighbors, and ended up involuntarily sharing their lonely hangout places, such as the library and the cloister. The gym was the only safe space where Dawson knew he'd never have to see Hamilton walk in with his stupid blue eyes and preppy satchel bag.

All in all, he isn't very sure why he doesn't want to see him, or if he doesn't want to see him, to begin with.

Lately, he's been feeling an inexplicable fascination grow inside him, the kind that's so absorbing it takes everything in you not to indulge. And he wants to. And maybe that's why he tries to steer away from him– and miserably fails to–, because he feels every single cell in his body scream when they're together, and his heart feels just a little bit lighter like it just got rid of the burden it was docked to. Then again, Adam never really gives him the time of day, which, so far, has only proven to be further encouragement for Dawson's interest to grow.

Maybe it's all in his head. He'll get over it. He just needs to steer clear for a while and he'll get over it. Yes, that's what he'll do.

"Evans!"