17.

bit of a change of scenario for our boi dawson in this one. hope you like it 

THANKSGIVING IS RIGHT around the corner

THANKSGIVING IS RIGHT around the corner. Dawson could tell from the change in the menu of the cafeteria.

Not to mention, everyone looks unexplainably happy all the time. It's probably the holiday spirit, the fact that it'll be Christmas in less than a month. However, Dawson doesn't really understand the appeal of it. It might be because he spent every Christmas eve at home alone, or with his nanny when he was too little to be left inside an empty house by himself.

It's safe to say that the past month had its ups and downs. Luckily any contact with Hamilton was limited to the few classes they had in common.

Another significant change was Hamilton joining Earth and Science II. He was the tenth student to enroll. Of course, Dawson is torn between feeling grateful and utterly annoyed by his presence, especially since, from the very first moment, he's been all smiles and fluttering eyelashes— so to speak— with Mrs. Lakin.

She loves him.

On the first day of class after Dawson's recruitment presentation, Adam walked in, eyes avoiding Dawson's gaze, and hastily sat next to him, without saying a word. After a few minutes of silence, Adam slipped him a note on the desk that said:

You're not the reason why I'm here

And, of course, Dawson couldn't miss the opportunity to reply:

Could have fooled me

Then it begins. And theirs is game of stolen glances, of docile smiles and secrecy; sour words with sweet intentions, albeit denied. Naïve belief that there is nothing binding them together but rivalry; that fraternization is nothing but collateral damage, just a means to an end; that there's no gravity pulling them together, and they orbit one another because they want to, and not because they're meant to.

*

Every year, for Thanksgiving, the top eight students at Wharton High—four girls and four boys— have the chance to go on a trip to Yosemite National Park. A camping trip.

Needless to say, camping is not exactly Dawson's favorite thing. Or second favorite, for that matter.

He almost didn't make the cut but, as it turns out, Thornbury had a say in it. Being one of the organizers and chaperones for the trip had its fair share of benefits, especially when deciding on the inclusion of students like Dawson, who represented a constant source of controversy.

That's why Thornbury told Dawson he was chosen as one of the best students based on grades, but he also told him— being the outspoken man he is— that the rest of the teachers were keen on leaving him home due to "past misconduct".