03

Saturday rolls around all too quickly but I am grateful for it.

Finally, rest.

I've been so busy overseeing the decoration of my gallery which would be opened as soon as my artworks have been shipped from Washington and I have set them up. I honestly can't wait.

I decide to spend the day with the kids and just take them to a few spots around Atlanta that I used to enjoy spending time at when I was younger. So, early this morning I woke them up and made breakfast which consisted of toast, eggs, bacon and orange juice.

Jason is digging in while once again Jamie is on his iPad. I'm so tempted to smash the damn thing sometimes but other times it helps keep him quiet when necessary.

"Mom, can we go see dad today?" Jason asks through a mouthful of food, his light grey eyes on me expectantly.

At that, Jamie looks up so fast I think he would have a whiplash.

While, me...well, I'm frozen on the spot. I don't know what to say because honestly, I am dreading another encounter with Henry as inevitable as that is. I just didn't want it this soon. Never, probably.

Stop lying to yourself, Sandy. You know you want to see him again.

Do you ever feel like slapping the shit out of your conscience for making you face the truth, cause I sure as hell do right now.

"Well, sure." I blurt out to them without properly thinking my answer through. "We can go see dad today."

They both grin widely at that and surprisingly Jamie finally pays attention to his food, wolfing it all down quickly to which I caution him. He ignores me and proceeds doing just so before his plate is empty and he rushes to his room.

Jason too.

You can imagine my shock when 30 minutes later both boys are dressed and ready to go.

.
.
.

We get in the car and begin heading downtown to Wallace Enterprises headquarters where Max, who I had contacted earlier about Henry's whereabouts, said he would be.

The fact that he is in his office on a Saturday is quite baffling and sad to be honest. Jesse was right. Henry really doesn't have a life outside work.

Some part of me feels bad for him. But the other part thinks that he deserves it. He did choose his work over his family afterall.

I decide to let go of these thoughts. If I let myself get into it right now I would only resent him more and be tempted to give him a dirty slap when I see him for making my life so miserable and empty.

It's not long before we arrive at Wallace Enterprises. I take in a huge deep breathe, before releasing it, as if steeling myself for the confrontation I am about to have with Henry.

"Ready to see dad?" I ask the boys, watching them cheer loudly at that in the rear view mirror.

I quickly get out and unbuckle them. We are walking into the magnificent building when Jamie asks. "Mom, why doesn't dad stay with us?"

"What?" I ask pausing in my steps. Neither of the boys have ever really asked this question directly and honestly, although I have always expected them to, now, I don't know what to say.

"Our friend, Daniel, from school says that he lives in the same house with his mom and dad. Why doesn't dad live with us?" Jamie asks again, a frown marring his forehead as Jason nods in agreement.

I think about what to say for a moment. "Well," I begin, squatting to their eye level. "Sometimes, mommies and daddies don't live together because they drift apart. You know that toy I got the both of you for Christmas two years ago that you no longer play with?" They nod in affirmation. "Sometimes, something like that happens to people and they stop talking to each other. When that happens, they can't live together anymore."