05

Once, I had thought that if I talked to Henry I could at least get some closure about us but last night made me realise two things.

One, we can't have a civilised conversation that wouldn't end up in a shouting match.

Two, talking to him will probably just leave me more confused than I previously was.

But I did get something from our conversation last night. Apparently, I was the reason our marriage failed, or so Henry thinks. I did something wrong. Something I don't even know that I did.

I stayed up all night yesterday, racking my head, trying to figure out what it was that I did or said that could make Henry resent me so much. That could destroy my fucking marriage. Nothing came up. So its either I have a bad memory or Henry is plain delusional.

Waking up this morning, I promised myself that at that lunch his mother is having I would avoid any encounter with Henry. It's a self preservative tactic.

By 1pm, I had the boys all set to go, so I went to freshen myself up and do my make up. 30 minutes after, we begin the drive to the poshest part of Buckhead, Atlanta, where unsurprisingly Thomas and Anastasia Wallace live.

We arrive after a 20 minutes drive to the Wallace estate and after introducing myself to the security, we are let in.

"Wow." I hear the boys breathe out mesmerised, as we make our way down the long pavement and to the mansion which looked like more of a palace than anything.

"Grandma and Grandpa live here?" Jason asks in amazement.

"Yes, they do, baby." I reply as I pull the car to a stop in front of the entrance doors and a valet guy.

"That's so cool!" Jamie exclaims loudly before unbuckling his seat belt.

By the time I'm out of the car, so are both boys so I just hand the keys to the valet guy and walk in holding on to both their hands.

The place has changed only slightly since I was last here. I feel memories assault me as soon as I walk through the damn doors. Right here, in this foyer was where Henry and I first met.

When we just arrived from Carlifonia, Anastasia invited us to lunch so mom and I came over. That was the first time I met Henry. I remember him walking down from the left side of the staircase in black khaki shorts and a white polo shirt, his thick black hair frazzled and his light grey eyes red rimmed. He had just finished getting high and once again his mom scolded him for it.

Truly, he only ever did these rebellious things to get the attention of his hard to please father who surprisingly liked me enough to call me his daughter.

This family has played such an important role in making me the woman that I am today, and for that I will be forever grateful.

I don't realise that I had stopped until Jamie tugs my hand, obviously excited to see more of the house.

Walking further in, we find everyone out on the patio which faces a small lake that Henry and I spent a lot of time at during our teenage years.

"Sandy!" I hear Anastasia exclaim before she sweeps me into a motherly hug.

When we pull away she looks down at the boys who are suddenly shy to be in her presence.

"Do you remember me?" Anastasia asks to which they nod. "And you must be Jason and Jamie." She says poking their cheeks playfully. This makes them crack a smile.

"Your house is amazing." Jason suddenly blurts out.

"Thank you. You, young man, have a good taste." Anastasia tells him which makes him look proud of himself.