Chapter 1

Rose's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another sharp breath escaped my lips as my back hit the bottom of the cage again. I was unsure of how long I had been in the box. An hour? Two? I had lost track of many things actually. My eyes burned with dust that had been blown into them. The loud sounds of the chains holding the box hurt my ears, but I was in to much confusion and fear to cover my ears with my hands.

Suddenly, the box halted, throwing my body down onto the medal bottom. I stayed where I was for a second, unsure if the box had stopped its swinging for good. When I was almost positive that it had, I sat up, leaning my back against one of the walls. I winced slightly in pain, and shifted a little. I was sure that I had many more bruises, but they were most likely not hurting due to the adrenaline in my veins. I sat in the dark, trying to catch my breath. How long would I be sitting in this box? Another hour or so? Until I eventually ran out of oxygen or starved to death? Both seemed like an awful fate.

Another sound rang out from above me, and I shot my head up to see what was going on. A ray of light shone into the box, growing bigger by the second, until, eventually, the doors stopped opening. I squinted my eyes, adjusting to the light. I heard voices, whispers almost, but could not see anyone yet. "That's not possible..." Someone spoke, the first whisper that I could actually make out. "Is that...another one?" Another person asked. I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion.

The whispers got louder, everyone talking over one another. I could finally see the row of boys that were leaning over the box, looking down at me. "Everyone shut up!" A voice yelled, causing all heads to turn around. I looked from all of the faces to try to find the one who had just spoken. However, every boy was looking to the back. Their heads all moved toward the front slowly, their eyes following someone.

After a second, a tall, muscular boy reached the front. His face was stern, showing no emotion. He was dressed in a red shirt, with sleeves that came halfway down his arms. The shirt looked like it barley fit him around his arms. He had on a pair of green jeans, and a pair of brown boots. His clothing was dirty, as well as the rest of his body. The boy jumped down, the cart shaking when he did. I sat up a little straighter, feeling slightly uncomfortable under his gaze. The boy let out groan in the back of his throat, and he looked up at everyone. "Its another girl." He spoke in a soft, disappointed voice.

"I call dibs on this one!" A boy spoke, causing everyone to break into a loud, jumbled discussion. The boy looked back down at me, and held out his hand. I looked from it, and up to him. I wasn't sure whether to take it or not, so I just sat their for a second. The boy sighed, and rolled his eyes. "You going to take it or not?" He asked, clearly annoyed. I reached my hand out, taking his gently. His hand tightened, suddenly pulling me up from the ground. The sudden pull caused me to stumble a little, and I felt his hands go to my elbows to straighten my balance. "You alright?" He asked, though his tone and expression showed that he did not care. I just nodded as an answer.

"Everyone shut up!" The boy yelled again, looking at all of the boys. "I thought Alby was the one who gave the orders." Another boy said, causing a few chuckles from various people in the group. "I'm with Gally on this one." Another boy spoke. He was tall, muscular, and he looked even more intimidating then he already was with his arms folded over his chest. Everyone was silent, looking down at Gally and I. "If anyone touches her, or even looks at her the wrong way, your getting thrown out of the glade for the night. Understand?" He said harshly. Everyone's eyes got slightly wider, and small nods were given. My curiosity ran high as I thought of what was outside of the Glade, or even what the Glade was.

The boy, Gally, turned back to me as small whispers rang through the group. "Do you know your name?" He asked. The question caused me to go into more thinking then should have been required. I knew that it started with an R, though that was the only part I knew. Ro? Rose? Rose. That was my name. "Rose." I spoke softly, causing all voices to stop. It was silent after I had spoken. The boy in front of me smirked a little, and crossed his arms over his chest. "She speaks." He said, causing everyone to chuckle lightly. I felt my cheeks turn dark red in embarrassment, and look down. "Your weak. I can tell." The boy said again. This caused my cheeks to turn even redder. Although, this time, it was due to anger. I looked up at him, my eyes almost in a glare. "Well, your one to talk." I blurted out. My eyes widened slightly at the words that left my lips. I could hear the boys laugh even harder at my comment. The boys lips turned from a smirk, to a scowl quickly. "You better watch it Greenie." He said, barley above a whisper.

I didn't both to ask what a Greenie was. I had already gained to much of an enemy from this boy. "Help her up." The boy said, turning to look at the other boys. Numerous arms were reached out into the box. I took the one nearest to me, and pulled myself up with his help. I stood up, and looked at who's arm I had caught. I saw a boy, no taller then me, with blonde hair and brown eyes. He gave me a gentle smile, and I returned a small one. "Your names Rose?" He asked, his British accent thick. I nodded, not speaking any words. The boy chuckled a little, and nodded his head. "Come on. I'll take you to the Homestead and get that cut cleaned up for you." He told me. I stood where I was, looking at him. He must have noticed the unsure look on my face, because his smile turned even softer, if possible. "I'm not going to hurt you. I promise. You don't want to walk around with the big cut on your head, do you?" He asked.

My hand reached up to a spot just above my eyebrow, touching the skin gently. I winced slightly as my hand touched the cut that was sticky from blood. The boy did have a good point. I nodded, still not speaking. The boy began to walk, and I followed behind him. I could feel the eyes of the others burning into my back. "Don't trust her." I heard the boy who had gotten me out of the box say. I shut my eyes, hurt. I looked down at the grass beneath my feet as we walked, a million thoughts running through my head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, all you know is that your name is Rose?" The boy in front of me asked, as he reached for a cloth in the box. "Yeah." I said softly, my voice small sounding. "Well Rose, I'm Newt." He said, introducing himself. I nodded, not having much else to say after that. Newt walked over, pressing a ball of cotton to the cut. I bit my lip softly, the cut stinging slightly. "Sorry if it hurts." He told me. "Its fine." I said softly, knowing that it would be better to get the cut bandaged up then left open. "So, you've already met Gally." Newt said, taking the cotton away from my head. I nodded, and let out a small sigh. "He seems-" "Intimidating?" Newt asked, cutting me off. I nodded, and looked down. "Exactly." "That's what everyone says. He's a tough guy. He's not exactly the nicest person to anyone. He takes the rules very seriously." He explained, opening a band aid.

"Well, he didn't exactly seem happy that I was here." I said, looking up at Newt. "Well, your only the first girl we have here." He explained. "First girl?" I asked, confused. I didn't understand why I was the only girl here. "Yeah." He told me, putting the band aid to my head. "And don't take what Gally says to heart. That's just the way he is." Newt said. I nodded, and stood up from my seat. "Thanks for taking care of the cut." I told him. Newt nodded, and smiled. "Anytime." He told me. "Now, how about I show you around?" Newt asked. I smiled, and nodded. "Sure. I'd like that." I replied, smiling an actual smile for the first time since I had gotten here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time that Newt and I had walked around what I now realized was the Glade, the sun was setting, and it was getting darker. We were currently walking across the field, and making our way to the kitchen so I could get something to eat. Newt had been nice to me. He was the only person that had shown a little compassion. "Newt!" A voice called from behind us, causing both of us to stop in our tracks. We both turned around to see Gally walking toward us, looking anything but happy. "Yeah?" Newt asked, as Gally stopped in front of him. "I thought I told everyone to stay away from her." He spoke sternly. "I was just showing her around." Newt defended himself. Gally let out an insincere chuckle, and nodded. "Yeah. I'm sure that that was all that you were planing on doing, wasn't it Newt." Gally asked. Newt gulped deeply, and the fear was clear on his face.

"I think that I have a say in who can and can't be around me." I spoke up, looking up at Gally. His head shot over to me, and a look of confusion ran across his face. "Was I even talking to you?" He asked me. I shook my head, feeling confidence running inside of me. "No, but I was the topic of the conversation." I replied. Gally just stared at me after I spoke, unsure of what to say next. "You want this boy around you?" He asked, glancing at Newt, and then to me.

"He's much better company then you." I said, before looking back up at Newt. "Let's go." I whispered, turning and walking away from them."No one has ever said something like that to him." Newt whispered as he walked. I shrugged, and looked straight ahead. "It was about time someone did." I replied. Instead of making myself an enemy of Gally, Gally had made himself an enemy to me.