Chapter 5

Rose's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I woke up, I felt much more relaxed then I had the night before. I didn't know if I was getting used to this place, or if the cot had been a better sleeping option then the hammock. I sat up, glancing to the right. A scream almost left me as I saw the sight on the bed next to me. There was a girl laying on the cot next to mine, either asleep, or in a sort of coma. It wasn't her appearance that frightened me, but the fact that I had not noticed her the night before. I looked away, and a small smile formed on my lips. I finally wouldn't be the only girl here anymore.

"Good. Your up." Someone said, and I looked over to where the voice had spoken from. I saw the med-jack from last night, and gave him a smile. "Yeah. I am. Um...random question, but when did she get here?" I whispered, pointing my thumb to the girl on the cot beside mine. "Oh. She came in yesterday. Did you not notice her?" He asked. I shook my head no. His question seemed almost pointless. If I had been asking when she got here, I probably would have noticed her yesterday. Although, I didn't speak out about it.

"Thanks for helping me out last night and letting me stay here." I told him. The boy let out a chuckle, before replying. "You know that you didn't have to stay overnight here, right?" He asked me. I looked at him in confusion, and shook my head. "No. I thought that you-" "It was requested that you stay here by someone." He told me, before walking out of the room. Once he left, I stood up from the bed, still confused. It wasn't required that I stay in here last night, but someone had wanted me to. I had a feeling that it was Gally, but I could not be positive.

After a minute of standing by the cot, I made my way out of the hut. When I got outside, I noticed that there were not that many people out in the Glade like there normally were. I saw the boy from a few nights ago, Chuck, and decided that I could get information about the lack of people from him. "Chuck!" I called out. Chuck instantly stopped, and looked over to me. A smile formed on his lips, and he made his way over to me. "Hey Rose." He said, before stopping in front of me. "What's up?" "Where is everyone?" I asked him. "Council meeting." He said simply. There was a council when there were only this many people here? Although, it might be necessary to keep things in order. "Why?" I asked him.

"Because of you and Teresa." He said. I looked down at him, slightly shocked. The other girl and I were the reason that they were having a meeting? "Why?" I asked him. Chuck shrugged before replying. "Things are changing. Girls haven't been here. Ever. Its scaring some of them. There discussing it right now. I can show you where it is if you want to take a peek inside." He told me. I nodded quickly becoming curious. "Lead the way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Its right in there." Chuck whispered, once we reached the door to a hut. I stood by the door, looking inside through a small opening. I saw a couple boys, maybe five or six, standing by the front. All of them had  determined and worried expressions on their faces. "Yeah, but that doesn't explain why two girls showed up." One person said, looking around at everyone else. "Well, we all knew that things were going to change at one point." A voice, that I recognized as Alby's, spoke up. "Yeah, but I didn't think that it would happen so quickly." Another boy said. "I don't trust them." Someone added, causing me to feel a slight pain. "Why?" Gally asked. I instantly recognized his harsh voice. I stood up a little straighter, wanting to hear what he had to say. "Well, they're the first two girls we've had. Its a little odd. Why? Do you trust them?" The boy replied.

There was silence for a minute, and I fought to keep myself silent. "I mean, I don't know the second greenie, well, at all. I haven't said one word to her. No one has actually. The first girl, Rose, I've talked to her. She doesn't seem like she wants to hurt anyone or anything. She's just trying to figure everything out like the rest of us." Gally told him. A smile formed on my lips as I realized that he had said my name, and not greenie. "So, what's next Gally? A love song?" Someone asked, causing a few people to let out chuckles. "Why don't you shut your mouth, shank?" Gally said, his voice becoming louder. I could see his face turning a dark red color from anger. "Why don't you get her to shut it for me?" The boy replied. Gally began to go towards the boy, but Alby grabbed him and held him back. "Let's just all calm down for a minute. We all know that things are changing. That's pretty obvious. Although, we don't know how long we have until things get out of hand. I think if we all just calm down, we'll have more time to figure things out." Alby spoke, looking around at everyone.

"I think we just all need sometime to cool down." Newt spoke, meaning his words toward Gally and the boy. "Let's just all meet again tomorrow." Alby said, letting out a sigh. Chuck quickly grabbed my arm, pulling me away. "Wait, why can't we stay and see if they say anything else?" I asked him, as we walked quickly. He let go of my arm, but I continued to walk with him. "If they catch us, they'll put us in the Slammer." Chuck explained. "The Slammer?" I asked, confused. "Yeah. Those things over there." He replied, pointing to a set of cage like holes in the ground. They were covered with what looked like bamboo sticks over the door, and had stones around the top. I looked back over at him, and sighed. 

"Chuck, I think we can stop walking now." I told him, my legs becoming tired. I was still sore from yesterdays fight. I had been sore before the fight from the box ride here, and fighting did not help the pain. "Yeah. Your probably right." Chuck said, both of us stopping. Once we did, I glanced over at the hut where everyone had met at, just in time ot see Gally walk out. He still had angry look on his face. He couldn't possibly be still mad about what the boy said, could he? After all, he was the one who said that we weren't even friends. I glanced away as Gally started to walk towards a hut we were standing next to. "I really hope that he didn't see us." Chuck said, looking from Gally to me. "He probably didn't." I said, trying to reassure him. He nodded, looking down just as Gally walked by. I could hear his footsteps coming closer, and stopping right next to me. My heart beat speed up, and a knot formed in my throat.

"You two are idiots, you know that right?" A deep voice spoke. Chuck and I both looked up after he was done speaking. I looked up at Gally, his face angry. "What?" I asked, trying to act confused. "You two honestly think that I didn't see you?" Gally asked, glancing at both of us. "Saw us doing what?" Chuck asked, his voice shaking. "Don't play that dumb card shank. I saw both of you looking through the door at the council meeting." He said.

At that point, I knew that both Chuck and I were screwed. If there was one thing that I had learned about Gally, it was that his mood could change quickly. Just because he had been kind to me the day before, didn't mean that he was going to be that way today. "You better be lucky that it was me and not someone like Alby." Gally said, folding his arms over his chest. Chuck and I both looked at each other, and then to him. "Yeah. I know." I spoke softly, looking up at him. I was nervous about what the consequences may be. Things were not taken lightly here. There was no getting off the hook or warnings. That was another thing I had learned in the past two days that I had been here. "Your awfully lucky." Gally said again.

"So, what are you saying?" Chuck asked, not fully understanding why Gally kept saying that we were lucky. "What I'm saying is that the consequences won't be as-" Gally trailed off as his eyes fell onto my face. I was sure that it showed signs of myself being frightened and confused. Unknowing, but also curious. Gally's face seemed to soften a little more with every second he looked at me. I could hear him let out a sigh, and look down at the ground. He placed his hands on his hips, and shifted his weight from one foot to another. He then looked down at Chuck. "I'm saying that this is a warning." Gally told him. I glanced over at Chuck, relief going through me. I thought that he would show signs of relief as well, but he was in confusion. "Don't let it happen again, Shank." Gally said, in a harsh voice. Gally then looked at me. "You either, Rose." He said, his voice softer. "I won't go as easy on you two next time." He said, before walking away.

We both just watched Gally for a minute, puzzled. After a second, Chuck spoke. "That's so strange." I glanced over at him, just as he looked at me. "What is?" I asked him. "He has never done that before. To anyone." Chuck said. "Done what?" I asked him. "Just let them off the hook like that." He replied, placing his hands on his hips. He glanced out at Gally for a minute, and then looked back at me. "Are you guys even friends?" Chuck asked, confused. I thought for a minute. In a way, he did act like a friend to me. What he had done was something that a friend would do after all. Although, he also seemed cold towards me. I thought for a minute, before responding with the clearest answer possible. "I don't even know."