Chapter 4

Rose's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It seemed as though everyone in the Glade had come out here. Everyone had somehow heard of what was going on tonight. I don't know how the word got out so fast, but it somehow did. Somehow, everyone knew about the "fight" that Gally and I were going to have. I already knew that, after this fight, any thought I had about becoming a Builder, would vanish. Everyone knew who was going to win this fight. It was not going to be me.

"I'm guessing you've never fought before." Gally said, walking around the circle. Everyone was standing around a circle of sand that Gally and I were in. Hopefully this would be less painful for both of us. Well, for, me at least. "No." I said, watching him walk. "Figures." Gally said softly, but loud enough for me to hear. This caused a few laughs from various places in the group, and an eye roll from me. "Okay, what's going to happen is we both come at each other, and try to tackle the other. I pin you down for ten seconds, I win. You pin me down for five seconds, you win. Fair enough?" He asked. I just nodded, becoming a little more nervous. Gally stopped walking, and looked at me. "Ready?" He asked. I just nodded, getting ready for the pain that was about to come.

Gally wasted no time in running toward me. I didn't think about what to do, and just went with my first instinct, which was to push him away. He barely stumbled, but at least he hadn't pinned me down. "Watch out, we got a tough one here." Someone said in a sarcastic manor. I rolled my eyes, and looked at Gally. He ran over again, and pushed me to the ground. The air left me as soon as my back hit the sand. He held my shoulders down, and sat on my stomach to keep me from moving. I could hear people counting down, and knew that I had to do something. I brought my knee up, kicking him in the stomach. Gally rolled off of me, holding his stomach. His expression changed to a slightly angered one when I did that. "I like her already." Someone said, which caused a few nods and smirks in the group. I stood up, and Gally did the same.

After a few seconds, he came at me, and pinned me down again. "Maybe you should just give up." He told me, looking down at me. "No way." I said, wiggling out of his grasp a little. "Why not?" He asked. "That's for losers. And I'm not a loser." I told him. I wrapped my legs around his torso, and used all my strength to flip us over. I looked down at him, and his eyes went wide. "How did you...?" He stopped talking when he remembered that he only had five seconds. He quickly pushed me off, and stood up. I stood up after him, waiting for him to make his next move.

This time, he came at me faster with his arms out to push me to the ground. He pushed my shoulders, causing me to stumble back. I fell back, my head hitting something on the way. My vision began to blur a little when I hit the ground, and there was a sharp pain in the back of my head. Everything went silent once I hit the ground. "Rose?" Someone asked, leaning over me. I could barely see anything with my blurred vision. After he spoke, I felt the boy pick me up, and begin walking off somewhere. I didn't ask where though, I didn't have the strength to even do that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Make sure you keep this on your head." One of the med-jacks told me, holding a pack of ice on my head. I brought my hand up, holding the pack to my head, and the boy let go. "I'll be right back." He said, walking out of the room. I shut my eyes, and let out a groan of pain. "You fought well, Greenie." A voice said, but I didn't even bother to open my eyes. I knew that it was Gally. "Rose." I corrected him. The sound of footsteps coming closer filled the room. They stopped on the right side of the bed, and I opened my eyes. I saw Gally looking down at me from the side of the cot. "If your here to tell me off or say how stupid I am for continuing to fight or something like that, I don't feel like talking about that right now." I told him. "That's not what I cam in here for." He told me. "Then why did you?" I asked him, a little confused. "I came to apologize." He told me.

His words caught me off guard slightly. I never pictured him as the apologizing type. "Why?" I asked, my voice coming out silent and shaky. "I shouldn't of kept the fight going. You ended up getting hurt, and I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm also sorry for the way I've been acting towards you." He told me. "Its okay. I haven't been exactly the nicest person towards you either." I told him. Gally knelt down beside the bed, reaching up towards the ice pack. "Here." He told me, placing his hand onto it. I took my hand down, and sighed. "Thank you. That helps a lot." I told him.

It was silent for a minute, before Gally spoke up. "So, about this builder thing-" "I know. You won. I'll just find another job or something." I said, shutting my eyes again. "That's not what I was going to say, Rose." He said. I opened my eyes, and looked at him. I was shocked at two things; that I might still have a chance at being a builder, and that he had called me by my name. "Well, what were you going to say then?" I asked him. "I was going to say that, even though you lost, you still have a chance of being a builder. You are tough. Much tougher then I thought you were. You didn't give up either. We're kind of short on builders, so there's a spot open if-" "Yes." I said, cutting him off. I had a wide smile on my lips at this. I had proven him wrong, and the builder was the one job that I wanted to have. Gally let out a small laugh, and smiled. "Okay. I'll tell Alby later." He told me. I nodded, and smiled. "Thanks Gally." I told him. He nodded. "This doesn't make us friends, Rose, but it also doesn't make us enemies either." He told me. I nodded. "I understand." I replied. I was just glad that I was no longer enemies with him.

"Okay. You can stay here for the night." The med-jack said from the doorway. I turned to look at him, and nodded. "Okay. Thank you." I told him. His eyes traveled over to Gally, and a look of confusion spread across his face. "Gally?" He asked. I looked over at Gally, and saw that his smile had faded. "Yeah?" Gally asked, his tone no longer soft. "Nothing." The med-jack replied. Gally stood up, and I brought my hand onto the ice pack again. He let go, keeping his eyes on me. "You gonna be okay?" He asked. I nodded, and looked up at him. He nodded back, before walking past the med-jack, and out the door. As he left, confusion swept over me about Gally and his actions.