Chapter 3

Rose's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, I woke up with a slightly aching back. The reason that seemed to be the most correct reason for the pain was a mix of two things. One was the bruises on my back from the box ride here, and the other was the fact that I was sleeping on a hammock. As comfortable as they were, they were not good for sleeping for about eight hours on.

I stood up, and straightened my clothes a little. I thought of the talk that I had had with Gally last night. He had been completly different, in the beginning at least. I decided to make my way towards the kitchen where I saw a few people walking to. The thought of food made my stomach hurt slightly. I hadn't had anything to eat since I had arrived here. This would be the first meal I would have in who knows how long.

When I reached the kitchen, I got in line behind a few other people. I looked down at my feet, not knowing any of the boys in front of me. "Hey Rose." Someone spoke, causing me to look up. I saw two boys looking down at me, smiles on their lips. I gave them an uneasy smile back. "Hey." I replied, before looking down again. "So, has anyone had their first pick at you yet?" One of the boys asked, causing me to look up at him in confusion. "What?" I asked. The boys looked at one another, before looking back at me. "You know what I mean. Since the other girl is in a coma at the moment, your the only girl that's alive here. Has anyone picked you out yet?" The boy asked.

My eyes glanced around the room, trying to find some excuse to leave the situation. My eyes stopped on Gally, who was standing off a little ways, but had his eyes on us, almost in a glare. I looked away, and back up at the boy. "Um...no." I answered nervously. "Really, that's a shame. You know-" "Rose." A voice from the front called out, interrupting the boys. All heads turned to look back at me, as I poked my head around to look to the front. My eyes landed on the boy in the front who was serving the food. "Come up here please." He said. I didn't know if this was a good thing for me, or if I had done something wrong already. Everyone was silent as I walked up to the boy at the front.

When I reached him, he held a plate out for me. "Take this. You can have yours first since certain people seem to be bothering you." He told me, handing me a plate. There was no way this boy could have seen us. He was busy handing out food, and I was all the way in the back. I was on the short side, and the boys I was talking to weren't much taller then me. He wouldn't of been able to see us. I took it, and looked up at him. "Thanks. Did someone tell you that?" I asked him. The boy just shrugged, getting another plate ready. "I can't say." He told me.

After he spoke, I began to walk away, wondering who it was that told him. My eyes traveled around to everyone, trying to find someone who I could sit by to talk to while I ate. My eyes stopped on Newt, who was sitting with a boy with black hair, and a short, chubby boy with curly, brown hair. I quickly made my way over, hoping that he would let me sit with him. "Hey. Can I sit with you guys?" I asked, once I had reached him. Newt looked up, and nodded. "Yeah. Of course." He told me, scooting over so I could sit between the boy with black hair and himself. "Thanks." I said, as I sat down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About half way through my meal, I had finally met the two other boys. The boy with black hair was named Thomas. He had come here about two days ago, and was just as clueless as I was. The other boy was named Chuck, and I had not clue how long he had been here. We had all been talking a little, and had gotten along pretty well so far. The whole time I ate, I was still trying to figure out who had told the boy at the front. It eventually occurred to me that it was most likely Newt. He knew me, and was someone that would actually be kind enough to do something like that.

"Thanks by the way, Newt." I said, as I set my now empty plate down in front of me. Newt looked at me, confused. "For what?" He asked me. "For telling the boy at the front that the two boys were bothering me." I told him. Newt was silent for a minute, trying to think about that event taking place. "I didn't tell anyone anything Rose." He told me. Now, it was my turn to be confused. "You didn't?" I asked. Newt shook his head. "No. Sorry." He told me.

Just as I was about to speak, someone came up beside me. "Rose. I need you to come with me in about five minutes. We'll start looking for a job for you today." Someone said. I looked over, and saw Gally leaning over, and looking at me. I nodded, and replied. "Yeah. Sure." I said. Once I had, Gally nodded, and walked off. Newt looked at Gally for a minute, and then back to me. "Maybe it was him." Newt suggested. "What?" I asked, a little confused. "Maybe he was the one that told the boy." He explained.

I thought about this for a minute. This could be a possibility. An unlikely one but it was one. Gally had, in fact, seen the boys talking to me, and seen my worried expression. He had told me last night that he was slightly upset about the way that the boys had acted. It could have been Gally who told him. Although, Gally didn't seem like he cared about me that much, or at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had excused myself from the table a minute ago, to go meet Gally to find my job. He was standing by the boys from earlier, having a conversation with them. When I walked over, all three of their heads turned to look at me, and the conversation ceased. "Um..sorry to interrupt. You said that you needed to see me?" I asked, my eyes glancing at the boys, and then back to him. Gally nodded, keeping a glare on the boys. "Yeah. I do." He said, then turned to look at me. "Let's go." He said, beginning to walk off.

My walk turned into a jog to catch up to him. When I did, I walked right beside him. "What was that about?" I asked, referring to the conversation he and the boys had just had. "Nothing that you need to worry about." He replied, not looking away from the front. The thought occurred to me again that it might have been Gally who told the boy. I didn't want to wonder about it forever, so I decided to ask him about it. "Was it you?" I asked him, suddenly. Gally turned his head to look at me quickly, knitting his eyebrows together in confusion. "What are you talking about?" He asked me. "Was it you who told the boy about the other boys bothering me?" I asked him.

Gally went silent for a moment, and looked down at his feet. "Why does it matter, Greenie?" He asked, using the nickname again. I didn't say anything about it this time. I was to focused on getting an answer. "Because I want to know." I told him, looking over at him. Gally looked over at me for a minute, deciding whether or not to answer. "Well, those boys seemed to be getting on both of our nerves. Don't think that I told him just for you." He told me, a slight coldness to his tone. I nodded, looking up at him. "I wasn't." I said softly. Gally nodded, and looked back to the front.

"Okay, today, you'll be working in the garden. I know that the only things that girls can really do are cook, clean, and garden. So, you'll be-" "Wait, hold on." I said, interrupting him. Cooking, cleaning, and gardening were not the only things that girls could do. It made me upset when people categorized girls like that. "What? Am I wrong?" Gally asked, clearly seeing nothing wrong with what he had just said. "Yes. You are." I told him. Gally stopped walking, and I did the same. "Okay, how am I wrong?" He asked me, folding his arms over his chest. "I can assure you that I can do a lot more then cook, clean, and garden." I told him, raising my voice a little. "Oh yeah? Like what?" He asked, raising his voice as well. "Well, what other jobs do you have?" I asked him.

"We have runners, which you certainly will not be, builders-" "What are builders?" I asked him. "Something that I doubt you can be." He told me, his eyes scanning over my body, almost as if to say I was weak. I rolled my eyes at this, and looked back up at him. "What are they?" I asked harshly. "They build things for us. Hints the name. That's what I am." He explained. "I think that I could do that job." I told him. This caused Gally to let out a harsh laugh, and shake his head. "There's no way you could handle that job." He told me, once he has finished laughing. "I bet you I can." I told him. Gally sighed. "I'll make you a deal. Tonight, we'll have a fight. If you can hold me down for five seconds, then you can try out to get that job. If I hold you down for ten seconds, then you forget about the job, and find another. Deal?" He asked me, holding out his hand. I looked at it for a minute, before taking it in mine. I shook his hand, and smiled. "You've got yourself a deal Gally."