Chapter 2

Rose's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up with a start from my dream. Well, not really a dream, but a nightmare. When I woke up, I thought that I might still be dreaming. That the events from last night were just a memory of a dream. However, my surroundings told me that this was not true. I stood up from the hammock, and made my way around the tree the hammock was connected to. Even though it was the middle of the night, I did not want to go back to sleep. I didn't want to have nightmares again.

With my arms folded over my chest to keep warm, I walked through the Glade. I didn't know what else to do. Everyone else was asleep. Well, everyone that I knew of at least. However, this seemed like the best moment I had had since I had been here. There wasn't anyone watching or staring at me. I wasn't being told what to do or forced around. I actually felt slightly relaxed. It was a nice feeling that I hadn't had in what seemed like forever.

"Hey!" A voice called out, causing me to turn around suddenly. I saw a figure walking towards me in the dark. The only light was coming from a fire a little ways away. I tired to make out who it was. The voice was deep, so I had a few ides of who it could be. He had broad shoulders, and took long strides as he walked. As he got closer, I let out a silent sigh. I soon realized that it was Gally.

Gally stopped right in front of me, and looked down at me. "I don't think that its the best idea that your out here at night." He told me. I let out a sarcastic laugh, and looked up at him. "I've been put into a box, sent somewhere that I don't know the name of, and the only thing I can remember is my name. I don't exactly see how things could get any worse then they already are." I replied. Even though it was pretty dark, I could still see Gally rolling his eyes at me. "Come on." He said, turning to walk away. "Where are we going?" I asked him, not moving. Gally looked over his shoulder at me, and let out a sigh. "I can tell your cold, and there's a fire over there. You can go warm up." He said.

His emotions towards me caught me off guard. Earlier today if I was cold, he would have made some kind of snide remark about it. Now, he knew that I was cold without me telling him, and he was offering to walk me over to the fire. It didn't make any sense to me. "Well, are you coming or not?" He asked. Right then, I knew that he still had the sarcastic remarks in him. I nodded, and walked over to him. As soon as I did, he began walking as well. I kept my eyes on the orange glow of the fire as we made our way towards it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My back was up against a log, and my brown eyes were staring into the fire. I had been sitting here for a few minutes, not saying a word. Gally was sitting on the log, but close by. For some reason, he had wanted to stay with me. Even though neither of us were saying a word, he had stayed. I felt the log move a little, and looked up. I saw Gally getting up, and guessed that he was leaving. My eyes went back to looking at the fire, not caring that he was leaving.

I heard the grass next to me crunch under something, and saw Gally sitting on the grass next to me out of the corner of my eye. I didn't bother looking at him though. "You going to eventually talk, Greenie?" He asked me after a few seconds. I had been called that a lot earlier today, but still had no idea what it meant. I looked over at him suddenly. "My names Rose." I told him. Gally rolled his eyes, and looked back at the fire. "Do you even know what a Greenie is?" He asked me, in a slightly rude tone. "No, and I don't exactly care. I just prefer to be called Rose." I told him.

After I had spoken, Gally just stared at me for a minute. He looked like he was at a loss for words. After a minute of us looking at one another, I tore my eyes away, and brought them down to my jeans. "Its what we call the newest arrival." He explained. I looked over at him, getting more curious at this. "How come there are only two of us? Girls I mean." I asked him. Gally just shrugged, looking down at me. "I don't know. No one knows actually. The girl that came yesterday, we got a note saying that she was the last one. Then, you came along with no note at all. The third new one in three days." He explained to me.

I didn't understand why I had been sent her. If the last arrival was supposed to be the girl from yesterday, then why was I here? "Well, its only been my first day, and I already hate it here." I said, playing with a piece of grass beside me. "Why? I mean, I don't really care for it either, but why do you hate it?" Gally asked, his tone much softer now. I shrugged, and looked down as I spoke. "I feel alone, trapped, scared. I hate all the looks I'm getting too." "The looks from the guys?" He asked. I nodded, looking down. "The remarks and the stares got on my nerves a little too." He admitted.

This part confused me. Gally was actually being kind to me. He had gotten upset with the stares to me, and the comments about me as well. It was like he actually cared about me, and my feelings. It was like he was a completely different person at the moment. I didn't want to say anything about it, not yet at least. For all I knew, he could change quickly. As I stared at the fire, I could feel my eyelids start to get heavy again, and I could tell that sleep was starting to take over my body.

"Rose?" Gally spoke, causing my head to turn to look at him. "Don't tell anyone about tonight. Don't think much of it either. We had a conversation. That's it. It will most likely be our last one. Understand?" He asked me. And just like that, Gally was back. I nodded, and stood up. "I'm going to go back to bed, and get a few more hours of sleep. I won't tell anyone about this. Don't worry." I assured him, before walking back to my hammock. Of course Gally didn't care about me. Of course he wouldn't change just like that. He was incorruptible, and he was someone that I didn't want anything to do with. For now at least.