Twenty-two

There were two letters that Jade pulled out of her father's mattress. The first letter was marked boldly with a return address to Esradene landing. The second letter was stamped with the Tranan flag.

Esradene Landing was a private island in the Tranan Union. While Jade hadn't been down that way, she'd heard rumors that suggested that it was just another pirate stronghold. Jade took a deep breath and read the first letter.

            Dear Captain,

It's kind of you to ask. The weather is perfect, but I wouldn't want to be sailing today. Minkar had expressed hope to see you again, and she was very resolute in the matter, too. Funny that she's so fond of you. Just amuses me rotten. I most had to tie her down to keep her from trying to leave. Don't worry. I've had my fun with her even if she was terribly resistant.

Unfortunately, the passage of time is brutal, and your little trollop's mental health is as weak as your rag-tag crew. There's nothing I can do for her now, but to take her somewhere safe and quiet. Should you come to visit us in the mountains, you will find neither of us. Minkar will be finding some much-needed rest elsewhere.

I still can't find that son of a bitch. I keep thinking I need a little more time, a little more time—but it won't be any use. I've lost him, but most importantly, I lost everything about him. The gall of somebody to steal my things and scatter them across the goddamn map. I have to know what he's hiding and what he still remembers. I'll make you a deal. If you want Minkar back, bring the man named Alchiba to me. My patience is wearing thin.

-Helios

Jade tried to tell herself that it wasn't as bad as it sounded. Couldn't be. Her father wasn't looking for anyone named Alchiba. It must have been a mistake or a joke or something. Uncertainty hit Jade like a ruthless wave. Her father had obviously kept more than a few secrets from her. It took a cannonball to his chest to give a couple of letters up.

That took the whole till death do us part thing a bit far—which was wholly ironic considering he'd had commitment issues his entire life. Or it seemed so. Jade had never heard of a Minkar. What weird names.

Jade looked at the second single letter. It seemed genuine, perhaps, but there was still something unsettling about it:

            L.H.,

Thank you for your generosity. You have been most kind to my family and I. Speaking on the subject, they are doing remarkably well. My mother and father have done much good for the clinic. Unfortunately, my brother has only gotten worse since we last spoke. We wish for him to recover, but if I am to exercise my opinion, I believe that should he mend, his quality of life would be deficient. He claims to feel enlightened in his current state, but I do not believe it possible.

My arrival home has been marred only by the condition of my brother. We both cannot ignore that I am not without fault for his current condition. I must not go on, however. We find ourselves in similar situations.

I wish I could negate my own purpose, but the only way to absolve myself is if I join you. I will meet you at your next port in two months. Until then, I will be looking into the issue at the clinic here.

Make haste with your response and do not be too detailed. They will kill me for an infraction like this.

Sincerest Wishes

S.N.

The last paragraph stayed with her. Sympathy and scorn boiled at the back of her throat. She pulled at a strand of her hair that had fallen out of her high ponytail. She felt like she might pull the clump right off with how aggravated she was, but the throbbing in her skull made her stop.