Fifty-two (Part 1 of 2)

Amelia Rose fluttered her eyes open. She was dizzy. Her head hurt. Her shoulder hurt even more. And godsforsake it, her legs were sore after everything. Sunlight streamed overhead, dust mingled in with the rays and kissed her skin. Her arms were coated in dust. The debris rolled around her skin, grimy and mixed with sweat.

She was at the base of the lighthouse. One wall, only about fifteen feet high, stood, the rest were reduced to a ring of crumbled stone and metal around her. There were cannonballs, glass on the floor, glass stuck in her skin. She blinked, trying to focus on more than one thing at once.

The massive pile of brick beside her skittered as stone rolled down the edges, one smacking her in the stomach. She winched and pulled away on her good arm. When she saw Holden, she was surprised at the relief she felt. He dug through the pile, frantically.

"You're—" She stopped and took a moment to watch him. "What are you doing?"

He looked up at her, eyes tight like he hadn't been expecting her. Did he think she was dead? Was he okay with that? She clenched her teeth. He was dragging on his legs as he pulled himself around the pile by his hands. Why did she care so much when he didn't? Why did she care at all about him?

"That safe. That fucking safe has to..." He pulled back his head. "Excuse my language. It just has to be around here."

"It's gone, Mr. Holden. The cannonballs destroyed everything, why do you think—"

"You don't get it!" He yelled. "Something! Something your mother didn't know, something I didn't know, it was all in that safe!"

"Okay," she was trying not to panic. It mattered to her too, but if there was nothing they could do about it then there was no point in acting like a mule about the entire thing. "Well we'll find somebody who knows. We—we have to."

She had never seen him this angry, not even after the wedding. It was different though. This time he wasn't mad at her. He did a terrible job of showing that, though. There was a drumming. She tugged herself up onto her shaky limbs.

Two horses ran towards the lighthouse. Aiden was on Holden's uncomfortable-looking gray horse, while Nova was carrying Jade who obviously had no idea what she was doing. They were soaking wet. Amelia Rose smiled. Aiden was alright.

"You really trashed the place, Holden," Aiden shook his head. "Good gold."

"Not in the mood, Payne," Holden glared.

Aiden cocked an eyebrow. "I'm glad you're both alright." He looked at Amelia Rose briefly.

"He's hurt his legs," she said. Holden collapsed onto the pile of bricks.

Aiden walked the grey horse up to Holden, but the horse didn't seem so happy about it's new rider. "I guess we've got a ship to catch. I'll bring you," he said to Holden.

Jade took a deep breath. "Do you know how to ride this thing?" Amelia Rose didn't mention her arm. She just nodded and made her way to Nova. Jade didn't look like she had the best day either, but she made Amelia Rose feel better just by being there.

Jade helped her up onto Nova's back, and as they trotted, Jade leaned her head on Amelia Rose's good shoulder. "We made it," she said.

"Yeah," Amelia Rose nodded. "We made it." But as she Jade and Nov took off flying down the coast, her shoulder burning in pain, she couldn't help but feel more disappointing than relief. She'd never know anything about her mother.