Twenty-seven

Jade walked into the tavern alone. She scanned the tables. Oliver sat in the back corner in a booth. His hands were healing well. He looked out the window and out onto the street where carriages trundled by and men in naval uniforms passed, making small talk before returning to their duties. Oliver leaned his head back against the booth and closed his eyes.

Jade sighed as she made her way towards him. Oliver wasn't a heavy drinker, although as of late, he had been indulging himself more. He never got drunk. Just a buzz was enough to numb him for a while. Jade's mouth slipped its way into a sympathetic smile. Maybe it was wholly unexpected for Oliver to survive in the world of fast clippers and smoking guns, but he was stronger than most people knew. The way he internalized his grief was a fatal flaw that both he and Jade had grown to share.

Jade slid into the booth across from Ollie. He opened his eyes and studied her face for a moment. There wasn't anything to say lately. It seemed like every conversation seemed to lead its way back to the somber variety. Jade caught the attention of the waiter. He nodded and got to work getting her a glass of ale.

"What do you make of Dr. Nejem?" Jade asked.

Ollie shrugged. "He's a good doctor." He paused. "Wh—You don't like him, do you?"

"He knows something about my father."

"Aw, Jade, you're so..." He shook his head, looking down at his drink. "I don't know, just give him a chance."

Ollie could be so insufferable, sometimes. Like a little brother, expect she probably loved him more because they weren't related. "Oh, pipe down. You're such a bloody squid."

The clank of a glass against the table quieted the both. The waiter pushed the glass of ale towards Jade. "You know, they never even left a tip." The blonde boy crossed his arms over a tray.

Ollie's cheeks reddened. "Yeah, I guess—well I'm not surprised, you know."

The boy looked at his feet. "Ah, stars. I'm sorry. I probably shouldn't be complaining about that."

"No, no. Um, I understand," Oliver replied, white knuckling the handle of his glass.

The waiter smiled thankfully before crouching down low and sliding a piece of folded paper towards Oliver. "It's all on here."

Oliver accepted the paper, a silly smile on his face. "I don't know how to thank you."

"I guess you'll have to find some way to show your gratitude," he said quietly.

"Uh," Oliver's eyes widened before he pulled a wad of tyche from his pants pocket. He counted through the paper bills. "150, uh, oh! 250! It's not a lot, but—"

"No, no." The waiter stopped him. He laughed, quietly, his lips wavering in between a smile and a frown. "Nevermind." He went back to his duties as Oliver slipped the little money he had back into his pocket.

Jade took a sip of her ale. "Oh goodness." She lifted her eyebrows as Oliver finally read the little piece of paper. "That was the wrong kind of tip."

"I—" But Oliver was too distracted by the paper to be anymore oblivious. His eyes widened. "Jade! Jade!" He quickly passed her the paper.

                        He is headed to Aydesreve.

Had to ask someone how to spell that. I've never heard of it, and no, I couldn't figure out where it is. Sorry!

Tell me what you find. I guess I'm a little invested now...

And come back soon! I've got a free drink with your name on it.