Chapter 1: Plucked Out of Regular Teenhood

PART 1: Origin

CHAPTER 1

In order to understand the gravity of the hallways encounter, one must look back to three years prior to that date. It was a year before the incident occurred. I was fifteen years of age, naive, innocent, and terribly awkward. But hey, at fifteen, weren't we all stupid and immature?

****

"Mom, you forgot to buy almond milk again!" I half shouted from the top floor of my home. My mother, who at the time was a hardworking engineer-mom-super-combo, was getting ready for yet another day in the office. I, on the other hand, were getting ready for absolutely nothing of importance. It was summer break, and I really had no reason to be bugging my mother.

"I'm sorry, honey. I'll pick some up on the way home, " she replied.

As if she already didn't do enough for me.

Realizing it really wasn't that big of a deal, I replied stating it was okay, and dashed off to my room. It was brightly lit, plastered with pink, soft stuffed animals. It may have been babish, but I liked it.

On my desk lied my final report card from freshman year of high school. Ugh, Mission Creek High was a literal teenage prison cell. I had been going to to school with the same stupid and mean kids for my entire life, and I was so happy to have the summer away from them.

I took the report card out of the orange envelope, and viewed my grades. But as I attempted to review my hard work, I heard a loud bang! Me, curious as usual, decided to take a look at the sound effect.

And that's when it all began.

But as I attempted to open my bedroom door, an unfamiliar face beat me to it. He was a teenage boy. He was shorter than average, but he had indescribable hazel eyes and light brown hair that was spiked with gel.

"Do I know you? And why are you in my house?" I asked, but he grabbed my hand.

"You have to evacuate the building mam, follow me."

Just follow him, y/n. I promise it will be worth it.

Not wanting to argue with him, I did. And when I reached the outside of my room, I realized why this was urgent. The noise I heard must have been some kind of explosive, because my entire kitchen was on fire. If I hadn't been rescued by this unfamiliar boy, I may have died.

We were about the exit my house, but all of a sudden the doorway went up in flames. There was a rush of panic on my rescuerers face. However, the reaction ceased, as if he clearly knew what to do.

"Close your eyes mam, " he said. I obeyed at first, but my natural curiosity got the best of me. I was shocked to see that my rescuerer had the ability to form a blue ball in his hands, which was aimed directly at the fire, and which put the obstacle out.

Ugh, why didn't I listen to him!

When he turned to me, he could tell by the shocked expression on my face that I had looked. "Please calm down, I'll explain once we are safe."

The boy took me outside of my house, and I was amazed at the sight. Two other people dressed in the same way as my rescuerer was evacuating people from their homes. A causality that could have cost lives was being resolved.

After that moment of suprise, I remembered the supernatural ability I had just witnessed. "You owe me an explaination, " I said, facing my rescuerer just as he was about to leave me.

He sighed, realizing there was no way out of this. "My name is Chase Davenport, you and I had chemistry together last semester, remember?"

Oh, that was him? I remember! He was the teacher's pet and the smartest person in my class. In fact, I'm pretty sure he got a perfect score in that course. And if you know Mrs. Hardy, you'd know that was unheard of.

"I transferred to Mission Creek High halfway through the school year, and that was the first time I'd ever been to real school. You see, my siblings and I, we're different. We all have special abilities. My brother Adam has super strength, Bree has super speed, and I have super intelligence. What you saw back there was my force field. We use our abilities to save people by going on missions, like this one. I'm really sorry but this has to be kept a secret, or the government will take us away. I'll do anything you want in exchange for your silence."

I sighed, "It's alright Chase. You saved by life! The least I can do is keep your secret."

When I said those words, his eyes lite up. "Really?" I nodded. "Thank you so much, um, I didn't catch your name?"

I laughed through my reply, "Oh, I'm y/n. Y/n l/n."

He smiled even wider, "well, y/n, if you ever need anything you're welcome over at my place. I could even show you our underground lab!"

I smiled. I had just made a new friend, who I would really excited about.

Yeah. A friend who through thick and thin, through my darkest hour, was always there for me. And this friendship is the one which led me to him.
****
Hello everyone! Thank you so much for reading! I honestly really hope you enjoyed the prologue and first chapter! I'm really passionate about this story and I hope you are too! And who knows, maybe we'll meet Marcus in the next chapter. 😉 I love you all and I hope you have a great day!
-XOXO, Anna💕💕