Passion and Purpose

The entire cosmos is one vast burning bush, permeated by the fire of the divine power and glory.

-Kallistos Ware

ANNA CAMILA: A round lemon tree shines in the warmth of God's sun here in my backyard and I realize it is as if Moses' burning bush: an unconsumed shrub and blissful in the sun's fire. Here is where I commune with God.

Sweet lemons fall to the ground - some bittersweet yet perfect for honey remedies to mix with minced dientes de ajo garlic cloves in bits that will make you lick the tips of your fingers. You will wish you were sick so you could take spoonfuls, but even if I'm not sick, I'll take because I love it!

This is my sweet little tree beneath my saccharine sky - in my modest backyard that God has bestowed upon my family. Now we just need a little one, un guirrito, running around here - like the happiest kid on the block. If the child were a she, my pápi would go crazy in love for her like he used be have, mamá says when I was his chiquilla, little girl. She tells me how he'd sweet talk to me and spoil me by lifting me up every time I'd cry, how he'd run to the store to buy me cute little outfits and even matching ones for my dolls. Papi has been gone for a year now. He had been assigned to work out of town and had decided to take his motorcycle instead of truck to his job site. One evening, I found Mamá in tears sitting by her bedside's floor. Anselmo! Tu Papi had an accident, amor! I rushed to Mami's side, had her rise to her feet and she fell to her bed this time hysterical and grabbing her head. I begged her to calm down, and to explain to me what had happened. She shook her head, not wanting to say anything. Todo esta bien. Todo esta bien. Dios es el Señor! Please, Mamá, I shook her afraid my papi wasn't here with us any longer 'til she cried out, He didn't make it! He took la caraja motocicleta! I told him not to! He didn't listen. Mama had warned him about riding that motorcycle. He had promised to take me for a ride, but Mama never did consent to it. I do believe Papi is in heaven now, and I know he went out the way he had lived - with one hundred percent passion and purpose.