Chapter 27

She seized the chance to steal a glance at the young man. Since her outburst, Neji never mentioned anything about the incident. As if… nothing happened. She doesn't have the nerve to bring the subject up, because it's probably insignificant for him.

But for her, unfortunately, it wasn't. She thought her first love had been Andres Bonifacio (3). Her fanatical history teacher who shaped her faith towards the magnificence of Andy Boni may be passionate, but the katipunero could never make her heart leap to her throat every time there's romantic tension between her and Neji.

So one thing is settled, this is unrequited love. Her feelings are on solo flight.

Life is so unfair!

Noah's pets had sweetums during their 40 day cruise. But she, who's super cute and super kind, doesn't have a love life! Must she wait for the planet to become a giant swimming pool yet again for her to find happiness?

She sighed. But… Neji makes her happy. Very much. Even from the start, when he treats her like he's experiencing menopause, she couldn't deny that that gave her determination to be closer to the young man. And she feels her hardships are paying off—that it is possible to melt the Antarctic, even little by little.

He even has a sense of humor now. She used to think making her neighbor's dog laugh was her ultimate achievement. Neji was harder, but the triumph she felt as she saw his heartfelt smile for the first time ever is extremely rewarding. It definitely beats winning the lottery, even though she never won in one.

But because of the number of thoughts processed in her mind, she forgot the stolen glance was supposed to be for only a second.

Too late—he was already staring at her as well.

She blinked and then smiled.

"What?" he asked.

"I…I was just reflecting on how pretty the kitchen stove is," she replied.

"How could you tell, you were staring at me?"

"M-Me? Staring?" She forced a careless laugh. "I was just troubled. A seductive kitchen stove—what the heck is the world coming to?"

"Pft."

"Anyway, you're not that adorable, Neji, so feel free to act less of a smartass. I won't mind."

"Oh really?" He pushed his plate away, Canton all gone. "But you adore me so much."

"How could you tell? You're not in the Madonna and Child paintings, no? Why should I adore you?"

The corner of his mouth twitched. "You tell me."

She leaned on the kitchen cupboard. "Neji, Neji, I promised myself I wouldn't annoy you today, that's why I'm remaining silent"

"Break it then."

"No way! Where's the thrill in breaking promises when you're being encouraged?" she asked, smiling impishly. "Hand me your plate. Obviously you still want another serving of my seasoning-less pansit canton, but you're just actually shy to ask."

He laughed quietly. "Yes, I guess I'm still hungry"

"If you're also thirsty, there's the soup from the canton—"

"No, thank you."