CHAPTER 4

The apartment was filled with silence. A comfortable silence. Gavin needed a moment to take in what Conan just told him. It was 7 AM after all. The story of yesterday morning mixed with the sound of raindrops hitting the windows. The only thing that provided light was a small night lamp, despite the apartment having several chandeliers.
Gavin finally spoke:

"Well, I thought that bullshit would end after highschool, but I guess I was wrong. He doesn't know shit about me so his opinion doesn't really bother me... As long as he doesn't fire me, of course.
Also, why the hell did it bother you so much? Next time just drop it, the old prick has no idea what's he talking about."

"Doesn't that hurt you?"

"Ha, it's nothing. You get used to it... Oh..."

Gavin had a moment of enlightenment.
Conan lifted his gaze to Gavins eyes.

"You shouldn't get used to people mistreating you."

"Yeah, a bit too late for that. I can't go back and change it."

Gavin's eyes were dull, his eyelids heavy. He was really worn out. The lack of energy made him too tired to wear his mask. He started showing positive feelings towards Conan, which he tried to cover up with swearwords, even though he knew he couldn't. Conan noticed this and let it slide for now. The guy probaply had enough personal talk for this morning.

"How's Noah doing?"

Conan was genuinely concerned. He never had a loving mother, then she got into a mental hospital, and now his father has to hide him for his own safety.

The corner of Gavin's lips slightly went upwards and his gaze softened.

"He's better. The flu went away, thank fuck, but he is still tired and could catch it again outside. He's sleeping right now."

"Good to hear. If you need my assistance in the future, feel free to call me."

"Nahh, fuck off, it's fine."

Now Conan noticed that Gavin was struggling to talk a bit. He knew Gavin was trying to hide himself behind the curses.

"Gavin, you know that you can put the mask down around me, right?"

Gavin's eyes widened as the blood rushed into his face, making him blush slightly. He turned his head forward, away from Conan's stare.

"I don't know the fuck are you talking about."

"You do know."

"Well, last time someone said that to me they ended up in a mental hospital."

He lashed out at Conan.
"PHCK, PHCK, PHCK, GAVIN what the absOLUTE PHCK?"
Blood rushed into his head as he realised what has be just said.

Conan, at that moment knew.

"Oh, I get it. You-"

"YES, I HAVE TRUST ISSUES, NO NEED TO EXPLAIN IN DETAIL."

They looked at each other for a solid minute before they burst into laughter.

"Well, now that you somehow managed to know everything about me without even trying, I might as well let myself have a friend. Took me long enough."

"Ok I really didn't expect you to surrender so quickly, but I guess you're tired."

"Damn fucking right."