You stole my heart

Mary had never been much of a person for hotels. It seemed a bit modern and foreign, but this was the beginning of her new life, new everything.
Matthew would give her a very different life from what she was used to, until he inherited the earldom of course, but she wanted him as he was, and that was perfect to her.

Richard's words had echoed in the back of her mind, however much Matthew reassured and comforted her, he was still there. The police were looking out for him, but it had been no good so far.
Mary wasn't going to let him hurt her anymore, she had let him in her head for far too long, it was time for Richard to stay away as the jealous and malicious man he was.

Matthew just had to look at his wife to see complete and unfiltered perfection.
The south of France was beautiful, and even more it had been their last destination before returning home to the family. He knew Mary was probably aching for home, however much she enjoyed travelling around Europe.
Matthew had only remembered that there was still the imminent threat of selling downton when Robert had written to him a couple of days ago, Matthew had just inherited a huge fortune that could easily save downton and he hadn't told his wife, or anyone else for that matter, yet.

It was more than difficult, he couldn't possibly accept that money! Reggie swire had left him that money because he thought Matthew had been Lavinia's one true love, but he had broken her heart and snatched away her will to live, he just couldn't.
Matthew wasn't going to let it trouble him though.

"My darling, are you ready to face Yorkshire as a married couple?" Matthew asked

"Stupid question!" Mary teased and laughed
"I'm always up for a challenge" she continued

"I know you are! I she can't test the barriers of your tolerance...just in case" Matthew spoke with a fake scared tone, which Mary laughed at.

"Boost me, what's one reason you married me?" Mary asked playfully

"Because you stole my heart and I couldn't have let you go to America without at least asking you, but that turned out better than I could have ever imagined.." Matthew replied dreamily

"Oh darling what would I do without you, I just don't know why it took us so long.." Mary complained

"...hmm, because we were both stubborn and young, and also....you hated my guts for stealing your fortune and position.." Matthew laughed

"True...now come here and kiss me before I get cross.." Mary smiled and brought over to the chair she was sitting on, they kissed passionately and couldn't stop themselves until they realised they did actually have to make it home at some point...
"...wife..." Matthew played happily with the word he adored to refer to her as.

Mary and Matthew made their way out sadly, they didn't want to leave.
But they were thrilled to be on their way home....

It was going to be a long train journey and a longer boat journey so Mary snuggled into Matthew's arm and watched the rolling hills and sunset views pass by the window.

Matthew had received a letter as they were leaving so he decided to open it on the train in a more relaxed environment.
"Mary...wake up" Matthew shook her gently and she woke
"What is it?" She asked tiredly
"The police have caught him, we never have to see Richard again!" Matthew said excitedly
Mary smiled at him but she was still completely worn out and fell back asleep.

Robert, Cora, Sybil and Edith awaited eagerly outside the front of the house.
Matthew pulled the car up and they stepped out.
"Welcome back my darling" cora said to her daughter
"Did you have a nice time?" Robert asked Matthew
"My eyes have been opened" Matthew replied knowingly

They were glad to be back and they all sat in the library for some tea to celebrate their return and for the women to gossip about the honeymoon.
Mary smiled across the room at Matthew, they were so happy, finally, after all the stubbornness and conflict was over.

Kind of half chapter but oh well