Making it work

There was a time when they thought they were cursed.
A time when the universe seemed determined for them not to be happy.
But not anymore.
Now everything seemed so ridiculously perfect, it felt like something must be about to go wrong.
There would always be hiccups, times when everything felt suffocating and they wanted to be alone, but usually they floated back together.

Mary sometimes felt like a completely different person.
But she also realised she was complete.

The, for some, dreaded cricket match was rapidly approaching.
But it also meant Sybil, Tom and Grace's departure.
How sad.

"Do you have to go?" Mary begged her sister like a little child
"Tom wants to get back into the swing of things now that we are all ok" Sybil apologised
"I wish there was a way you didn't have to go, but at least the cricket match can provide us with a proper farewell" Mary sighed
Sybil clasped her sisters hand within hers and smiled sympathetically.

Matthew was still trying to avoid Robert.
To everyone else, it was rather comical, Matthew hiding behind his wife for protection. Robert just hated being accused of mismanagement.
But the problem was, Matthew didn't mean it like that, he had just never been endlessly skilled at voicing his ideas without accusation.
Mary was attempting to teach him in the ways of upper class business, and almost succeeding.

The christening was a beautiful ceremony.
And Violet had a good idea that would solve everyone's problems...

"Matthew is struggling with Robert, and none of us wish for the Bransons to leave, Jarvis had resigned, so make Tom the agent!" She explained smugly
"Why it's a grand idea, I'm just ashamed I didn't think of it myself" Matthew smiled towards Tom pleadingly
"Fine, you've got me there...i'm not going to suddenly transform into a aristocratic honorary" Tom smirked
"Nor should you" Matthew was so pleased to have his confidante back.
He had to admit, being married to a Crawley girl was tough, how did Robert do it?
He laughed to himself as he remembered how beautiful she looked when she was angry.....

Tom and Sybil sat in the library at tea whilst everyone chatted with high spirits about the cricket match.
"I have already told you, I physically cannot play, I've never done it before" Tom pleaded
"Then I must teach you" Matthew smirked
Mary raised an eyebrow and tried to suppress a laugh as they all watched Tom mentally accept defeat.
Tom stayed silent.
Matthew and Mary chuckled to themselves, Tom hated to lose an argument.

The bustle of the morning, plus the sweltering sun made a rather strained morning for the household.
Yesterday, Mary had enjoyed watching Tom and her husband playing some disjointed cricket with the practise net.
He was so perfect, instructing empathetically but well.
She snapped back into the moment.

No one could remember why everyone wore white at a cricket game, but it made a joyous and excited atmosphere.

If they won against the village, Robert would be in a positive mood for at least a couple of weeks, and if not, well....
Matthew enjoyed playing with Thomas, together they made a dangerous pair and thrashed out an abundance of runs.

Mary begun to sketch his jawline, tracing along carefully with her pencil.
One of her favourite things to do is to sketch him roughly, an attractive and slightly blurred figure, smiling the way he smiled at her, only her.

The heat made her head swim, therefore getting lost in her drawing, even while he sneaks up on her, even as he snakes his arms around her to join himself to her.
"Good afternoon wife"
"How is it going?"
"It'd be better if I could actually bowl"
He laughed at himself
"I love you."
Robert was calling Matthew back from the distance.
They kissed farewell chastely and then just stared into eachother's eyes.
"Matthew, you're holding everyone up!" Robert shouted with an eye roll.
"I need to go..." Matthew faded
"Of course you do. And you can always count on me to not laugh at you, at least not to everyone else." She whispered the end.

Dr Clarkson hit the ball high.
"Catch it!" Everyone shouted to Tom
He shuffled a little before catching it neatly with one hand.
A roar of cheer.
Tom had just won the game for them!

Random word time to satisfy my perfectionism, just go up to 800. Not that far but still quite far.
Twenty five words to go.
Twenty words to go.
You can do it, just chill the word count completely and nicely please.
See you soon