Chapter 9

At that terrible moment in our hearts we knew home was a pen humanity cattle....

"You have no choice as to go and stay in the underground Cadet Raven until we are certain about your safety." Erwin said as he paced furiously up and down the kitchen. " I will, of course, join you but we must make sure no one knows. " She heard her Captain say. She nodded in response and felt sick to her stomach.

"I will arrange for Jean and Hange to help escort you guys to the underground, but that's all" the commander said as he looked at them both. " They won't follow you in its just an escort. We will leave as soon as night falls. Stay low today and pack what's necessary." Erwin said. "Yes Commander Smith" Sam said as she saluted him as he left them for the day.

Nightfall came too slow. Sam felt uneasy about sneaking around under the cover of darkness. She had her bags ready and was waiting for Levi in the kitchen. They were told to meet up with Jean and Hange just two blocks down the road. She pulled her hoodie up and picked up her bags as she heard Levi enter. "Its time.." Sam said in a soft voice as she glanced over at the dark headed male. He himself was two inches taller than herself. His face was pale with dark circles still under his eyes.

She felt his warm hand in his as he took hers in his. " Stop worrying" he said as he himself tried to believe what he said. He then picked up his bags and pulled the cloak's hoodie over his head too.

Jean and Hange joined in. They all walked in silence and heads covered with their hoodies, taking back roads to avoid being followed. The closer they got to the underground, the more anxious she got. Hange was up front with her following. Levi was behind her and Jean at back.

The clicking sound of a gun being ready to shot could be heard. " Now give me Sam..." Jean's voice echoed in the abandoned street less than 20 meters away from the underground "Give her to me and I won't be forced to do this." Sam and Hange turned around and found Jean holding a gun to Levi's head. His eyes looked crazed and a smirk planted on his face.

"Don't make me ask again!" He said raising his voice. Sam stepped closer and the stubborn headed Ackerman shook his head. " Jean.." Hange said as she also stepped closer.

Hange drew her sword and before she could say or think about anything Hange charged at Jean. She pushed him away sending him falling back. She tried to fight him off as he tried getting to his feet. He fired a few shots as he got to his feet and ran.

"Sam..." Levi and Hange both said as they looked at her. A gunshot sound echoed in the background. Sams face turned pale as she looked at the darker haired male. Blood ran down the sides of his mouth. Down his chin and dripped on the floor before he collapsed....

Before Sam knew it, she was by his side. She held his head up as she tried keeping pressure on his wound to. Tears started to roll down her face. The smell of gunpowder still heavy around them.

The more she tried to stop the bleeding,  the more it bled. Her hands stained scarlet and her clothes drenched with blood from the pool underneath her. 'This is too much blood loss for only one person' she thought as began to cry as she held his lifeless body, blood still spilling from it until it ran down the entire abandoned streets road.

She choked as tears were thick in her throat as she sat up. She remembered that they made it safely to the underground. She sat up looking over to Levi sound asleep on the floor just below her. They where in a one room building for now. Its wasn't much but they didn't complain at all.

She sat up, still feeling uneasy about it all. The wood creaked as she stepped out of the bed. She walked over to the window and stared at the ceiling of the under ground.

"You best not get too close" she heard Levi said toneless. He was standing beside her also looking out the window. "Can't sleep?" He asked not looking at the red headed girl. She shook her head in response "Nightmares" she said whispering. His arm was against hers as they looked in silence out the window together.

They stood there for what seemed like forever until she moved. " Well since we are up we might as well start the day" she told the male standing next to her.

It felt strange not wearing uniform. They still had to be careful, they were expecting military police to be hot on their trail soon. The journal still didn't make any sense to her.

The touch of Levi's hand on her elbow made her look at him. He signaled her with his eyes half nodding to the back. Three guys in cloaks caught her attention then. " I think we should go check out the library. " he said. She nodded in response and knew there weren't too many people usually around there. Calmly they made their way to the library.

Once they arrived they realized their mistake. More guys in cloaks were standing on the rooftops of the library and a few more scattered. The sound of the guns being loaded could be heard.

One of the three that followed stepped forward. "Give us the girl" A familiar voice said. Levi half pushed Sam behind him. "How did you find her?" He asked the unidentified cloaked male. " The cloaked person held his hand in the air and all the cloaked army picked up their guns. " I don't have time for questions Ackerman" he sounded angry and annoyed. " If I give the order they will shoot to kill."

They could see some scouts in the background taking out some of the cloaked army. "Do you think I'm joking?!" He said as he gave a smirk. The angle of the light perfect for just a split second for Samantha to realize who it is....