CHAPTER ONE

ONE

ONE. CALL ME ELI

"So, what exactly was Atwood trying to tell us?"

The class was silent, all the students avoiding eye contact with the teacher, who expected just as much. Eli sat at the back of the class in her cotton lilac button up, tapping her pen against her desk. She sighed softly, before raising her hand. "That if we're not careful, our society could easily slip back into the way things were, when women were looked down upon as things, objects, walking wombs. By not defending ourselves from our oppressors and continuously standing up for what we believe in, there's a chance that our country could become in total control of maniacs who think they know what's best; freedom from bad things, but not the freedom to express good things."

The pupils around her had mixed reactions. Some rolled their eyes, others furiously tried to remember what she said, jotting notes down in their books. Ms Matteson, however, was grinning broadly at the return of her favourite student. "It's good to have you back, Elise."

Eli returned the smile slightly just as the bell went, the shrill ringing signifying the end of the day. Everybody was in a rush to get home and out of class, throwing their folders into their bags and seeing who could get to the parking lot first. Eli wasn't too worried, she was happy to walk. She missed being in La Push. While she was there, she despised the smell of sea salt and the people who were so quick to assume things, but when she had been away for so long, she wanted to relish in the atmosphere once more.

"How long are you back this time?" Ms Matteson asked after she finishing wiping down the whiteboard. Eli tucked pieces of hair behind her ears at the question, nibbling on the edge of her lip.

"Not sure yet," she responded with a light shrug. "Depends on how fast mom gets sick of seeing my face."

Her teacher didn't exactly know how to respond, she only watched as the student slung her backpack over her shoulders and walked towards the door. "I'll see you on Monday, Elise."

The teenager paused at the doorway and shoved her hand in her pockets. "Eli's fine, Ms Matteson. Thanks for the class."

The hall was filled with students as she tried to find her way to her new locker. It probably wasn't the best idea, starting school halfway through a Friday, but she was relatively quick at catching up, and she had left a good enough impression on her teachers that she'd have access to notes and resources.

Eli had hardly made it a step out of the doors when she was tackled to the ground. She instinctively tensed up and squeezed her eyes shut as her shoulder hit the grass lawn by the front of the school. Then, she heard the sound of bubbling laughter.

"Oh my God, you should've seen your face!"

Relaxing significantly at the familiar voice, Eli opened her eyes and met the beaming face of Embry Call. He was staring down at her with his usual bright expression, his long hair falling in his face. "What's up, Tiny? We were told you'd be coming back this week."