CHAPTER FOUR

FOUR

FOUR. MIKE AND OTTO

Eli eventually found herself stepping inside what appeared to be a local diner. She entered the Forks establishment with her hands tucked deep into her pockets and a wide eyed stare checking the place out. It was pretty busy considering the fact that it was peak dinner rush, but luckily she found an empty booth by the far window. She removed her jacket as she approached, taking a seat and picking up a menu, scanning over it. Her foot tapped against the ground, as she was quite anxious to be in the environment. Despite having grown up in the area, she had never been to the diner before, it was only the fact that her stomach rumbled did she bother coming inside .

"What can I get you, darlin'?" a middle aged woman approached her with a notepad in hand. Eli looked up with a polite smile, wringing her fingers together as she held the menu with her other hand.

"Uh, can I just have a cheeseburger and fries please?" she asked, and the waitress nodded, jotting the order down before wandering back to the kitchens. Eli was left on her own once more, and she sighed softly, relishing in the warmth of the place, glad she was out of the cold. The truck, it turned out, was just as shitty as it looked, and had began to splutter whenever she tried to turn up the heating.

The girl reached into her large pocket, trying to see if she could find anything to keep her entertained. She didn't think to bring a book with her, so she was stuck with...two pieces of gum, an old receipt and a sharpie.

Sighing softly, she began to doodle on the paper, trying to keep herself entertained for the ten minutes it would take to get her food. It wasn't much help, and she was out of room within two of those ten. She hated doing nothing. It was boring, and she despised the feeling.

"Cheeseburger and fries," the waitress returned, though in her other hand she held a kids menu and a set of crayons. "I thought I'd bring these over as well, you looked a little bored."

"Thanks," Eli chuckled softly as everything was slid in her direction. Funnily enough, her hands went straight to the crayons and the black and white paper, ready to colour in the drawing of a bird. The waitress smiled at the sight, before turning around and heading back to serve other customers.

Eli sat in her own world for a few minutes, no longer paying attention to the world around her. She didn't really care, to be perfectly honest. She was just glad to be somewhere where no one knew who she was.

"Hey, you new around here?" an unfamiliar voice joined her, and Eli looked up from her paper to see two boys in front of her; one blond and round faced and the other brunet and chiselled in features. The blond was the one who had spoken, welcoming himself to her booth, sliding opposite her. "Hey, I'm Mike, this is Otto. I haven't seen you around school."

Eli's mouth slacked a little as she was put on the spot. Otto noticed this and quirked an eyebrow, nudging Mike with his elbow. "Dude, you're freaking her out. What he means is, what's your name?"