CHAPTER TWO

TWO

TWO. LOOKS LIKE I'M GOIN FOR A SWIM

Eli tagged behind Embry and Jacob as Quil ran ahead to tackle Seth Clearwater to the ground. Her hand grasped Embry's arm, anxiety soaking through her at the thought of seeing her mother's friends once more. "Maybe I should just turn in for an early night."

"Hell no, Tiny," Jacob scoffed, wrapping his arm around her shoulders so that she couldn't escape. The girl groaned, feeling incredibly tense as she saw the figures of Billy Black, Harry Clearwater and her mother come into view. "This'll be fun. Sam isn't here, neither is your brother."

"Yeah, but my mom is," she muttered, and said woman turned her head, as if having heard her. Eli met her gaze for a moment, discomfort taking over as they drew closer. It was funny how she'd been back at the Rez for almost three days now, and the only conversation she'd had with her mother was 'take your shoes off inside', and 'okay'. There was nothing to be said between the two, which sucked, seeing as part of Eli always wanted a relationship with the woman.

"Elise!" Harry Clearwater guffawed as the teen drew closer with Jacob and Embry. He jumped up from the log he was sat on and made a beeline for her, his arms wide and welcoming. "How are you, my dear?"

"I'm good," she didn't hesitate in accepting his embrace, burying her face into his shoulder, inhaling the familiar smell of bonfire smoke. Out of all the things she missed about her hometown, the Clearwaters were always at the top of her list. Throughout the course of her parents' divorce, she'd found solace in the home of Harry and Sue, becoming an honorary member of their family. "How are you? How's Sue?"

"She's got a bit of a cold right now, what with winter on the way," he chuckled, pulling away only to place his hands on her cheeks. "Gosh, you've grown up so much! Look at you. Beautiful as ever. I remember when you were just a little baby."

"I know, Harry," Eli laughed. "You say that every time."

"Well, it's true," he grinned, before leading her the rest of the way to the fire so that she could greet Billy and her mother.

"Elise, it's great to have you back," Billy reached for the girl's hand, and she stepped forward to kiss him on the cheek. "I see that Portland sun's done some good."

"Any sun is better than the sun around here," she joked, and he chuckled softly in response. Her eyes then drifted over to her mother, who was looking the other way, her jaw clenched. Billy noticed how Eli tensed a little, and he patted her hand.

"Why don't you go and find Jake and the others, it's best to grab some food before it's all gone," he proposed, and Eli thanked him wordlessly for getting her away from her mother. She turned and walked towards the tables with tin trays, where there were sausages and salads, along with a further array of meat and baked goods.

"Eli!" a thirteen year old Seth leapt onto her back to her surprise, and the older girl yelped in shock at the sudden weight difference.

"Easy, kid," she laughed as he jumped off. She turned around and brought him into a hug. "You saw me on Wednesday, and yesterday."