CHAPTER SIX

SIX

SIX. MUCH ADO ABOUT PAUL LAHOTE

"You broke the fucking car?" Nick snapped as Eli dropped the keys on the kitchen bench. She shot him a glare before moving to the fridge to grab the bottle of orange juice she'd bought the day before.

"It broke down," she muttered in response, not paying any further attention to him. He was sitting on the couch with Sam Uley and Jared Cameron. They were all shirtless, yet again. She'd decided not to question it, she probably wouldn't get a logical response anyway. She quirked an eyebrow as she went to walk through to get to her room. "Jared, a girl called Kim was asking about you again."

Jared shrugged, shoving a handful of Cheetos into his mouth. He clearly didn't care. "Kay."

"How did you get home if the car broke down?" Sam inquired, seeming to be the only one who cared about the young girl's arrival. He was smiling softly at her, his eyes gentle. Eli appreciated it.

"Um, a girl from town was driving up the road and helped me out, she's real good with cars," Eli responded as she walked through the lounge, stopping by the doorway. "She was cool."

"Did you catch a name?"

"Rosalie," Eli said easily, finally managing to catch the attention of the group. Even her brother tore his eyes away from whatever he was watching and directed his harsh stare to her. Eli shifted uncomfortably, her cheeks tinging red a little. "Rosalie Hale? You guys know her or something?"

"Stay away from her," Sam's voice suddenly grew heavier. Eli tensed slightly, her eyebrows raising curiously. She'd never heard him speak that way, and though it probably should've scared her, she was in no mood to be intimidated that afternoon. "She's no good, Eli, you understand?"

"Not really," Eli shrugged, taking a swig from her bottle and exhaling. Sam was slightly taken aback by the response, likely expecting a passive 'okay'. It was a shame Eli only allowed her brother and mother to speak to her like she was a piece of shit; she'd much rather stand on her own two feet otherwise. "I didn't have any problems, she was actually pretty nice."

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about," Nick scoffed rudely. Eli began chewing the inside of her lip, trying her best not to let anger bubble inside her. "You've got no business with her family."

"Who's her family?"

"The Cullens," Jared piped up, tossing a Cheeto in the air and catching it in his mouth.

"But her last name's Hale," Eli responded with furrowed brows. "She's not related to those guys, right?"

"Sure, whatever you say," Nick grumbled, crossing his arms over his chest. "Just don't talk to her again. She's not worth your time. And take a shower or something, you smell like shit."

Eli was silent for a moment, only wincing when she suddenly tasted the metallic flavour of blood spill onto her tongue. Sam sat up a little straighter, but didn't make any move to stand up, just watching as she spun around on her heel and stalked down the hallway.