CHAPTER NINE

NINE

NINE. PAUL

"Eli!" Paul yelled after the girl as she ran out of the forest and towards her car. Her eyes were filled with tears once she watched him shrink back into his human form, naked and frightened. She had awkwardly handed him her pyjama pants, thankful for her bike shorts underneath. Then, she turned and retreated as quick as she could. "Eli, wait!"

Not looking back, Eli dove into the driver's seat and started the engine, rain starting to patter on her windshield. Her hands were trembling both from the cold and from fear, and her cheeks were wet from her crying. 

"Eli-" Paul opened the passenger door and let himself in. He opened his mouth to say something, before screwing his nose up. "It's smells weird in here."

Eli stopped and glared at him. "Really?"

Paul turned and sniffed the air, and Eli tensed up a little, feeling uncomfortable at the fact that a literal shape-shifter dog was in her car. Paul then clenched his fists. "One of them has been in here."

"What the fuck?" 

Paul opened the glove compartment and fell upon Rosalie's note. He read it, and his breathing grew heavy again, just like it had before. "You got this from Rosalie Hale?"

Eli recognised how he was acting. "If you're gonna turn into a freaky dog again, get the hell out of my car."

Paul's jaw hardened and he stared at Eli, who didn't looked particularly impressed. Still, there was fear behind her expression. He exhaled loudly and shoved the note back in the compartment, running his hands through his hair. "Fine."

Eli shut her eyes for a second and tried to get herself to calm down. It was harder than she thought. "I'm guessing this is why you haven't been coming to class?"

Paul nodded. Eli hummed and rested her head on the steering wheel. "Does anyone else know?"

"Sam, Jared..." he trailed off. "Nick."

Eli looked at him out the corner of her eye. "Is Nick...are they?"

Paul nodded again. Eli swore. Her shoulders began to shake, not because she was upset, but because she was freezing. Paul had taken her comfy pants, and the seats were leather. She shivered and reached into the backseat for her coat, her hand accidentally brushing against Paul's shoulder. He was radiating heat, and she had to pull away before she couldn't resist.

"Jesus, you're freezing," Paul commented, and Eli rolled her eyes. 

"That's why I'm getting my coat," she deadpanned. She put it over her legs like a blanket, and started the car. The rain was starting to pick up now, and she wanted to get home. "Are you coming with me or are you going back home and pretending I don't exist again?"

Paul put on his seatbelt. 

★☆

Instead of going home, Eli pulled into the parking lot at First Beach. She turned the heaters onto full blast, and Paul groaned. "What? Aren't you cold?"