✿Chapter 12: Phase Two Changed

Narrator POV

Dinner was always held around 6:30. Everyone had sat on the table the same way they did at their old base. The table was big enough to seat two people at each end and four people on the sides. Mary and Seto sat at one end and Hibiya and Konoha sat at the other. On one side there would be Shintaro, Kido, Kano, and Ayano. The other side was usually occupied by Ene, Hiyori, and Momo.

Now, you might be wondering, what happened to Ayano? Some of you might suspect she passed away since Kido did vaguely add in chapter one, " I promised Ayano that I'll be strong, that I would never show my weakness to them, but it's impossible with that idiot around."

No, she hasn't passed away. She was completely fine, though struggling with her own problems. Ayano had actually been living in the most rural parts of Japan because after the Heat Haze, her powers had been hard to manage, to say the least. 

She lived in fear, thinking she could accidentally do something to her friends, so she made the decision to head out on her own and figure out her powers. If used right, her powers could be used for good, but like Seto, she didn't want to use them at all. The only person she only really contacted was Shintaro, but that was only to pass on the message that she was fine and well.

With that being said, what a surprise the Mekakushi Dan was in for tonight.

Kido POV

I went downstairs and realized they had already begun dinner, but they seemed to be waiting for me, and I felt guilty for making them wait.

"I'm gonna make some tea, you guys go on and eat without me, I'll just be in the kitchen."

"You sure?" Seto asked me. 

I nodded yes. "Yeah! You guys enjoy, I'll be back with tea."

Once I spoke the word tea, a bright light filled the room briefly, and a nasty sound of thunder made the house shake a little. I admit it, I may have screamed. Just a little, though.

And so did Mary and Hibiya. Hiyori laughed at Hibiya but stopped as the light abruptly went out. I'm not afraid of the dark, but I knew Mary was. I tried to look her way but it was hard to tell how she was doing because of how dark it became. Everyone burst into commotion, with questions like are you okay and where are the candles, and a lot of wonder and realization that we would have to probably stay like this for hours if the fuse was out for good.

Someone had walked up to me and grabbed my hand. I knew it was Kano, but I could only tell once he was just a few centimeters away from my face.

Narrator POV

"Are you okay?" Kano whispered to Kido's ear, and her face grew hot at how close he was, as well as how low and husky his voice became when he whispered. His grip on her hand was loose, his thumb drawing circles on Kido's palm. The gesture reassured her that she was okay.

"Mhm," Kido replied. She was fine but just shaken up a bit. 

During the commotion, Seto had also held Mary's hand tightly. Mary was extremely afraid, though, and hugged Seto's arm tightly. Seto blushed and was glad no one could see his face. Not only were his cheeks a light red hue, but his eyes had also glowed red. Mary, on the other hand, wished she could see him. Sometimes, she felt as though looking at him was like looking into his thoughts. His face always seemed easy to read, in her opinion.

"I'll go get candles," said Momo. With her phone light, she made her way to the kitchen. She came back with candles and a box of matches.

"Good. I'll take them to each room with Kido and light them up," said Kano. In his mind, he had already been changing Phase Two, and Hiyori sensed it.