one

1 9 2 9
BROOKLYN, NEW YORK

A CHILD WITH DARK pigtails played on the floor of her new brownstone in the heart of New York. It was desperate times with the stock market crash and thousands of lives in danger, but this little girl didn't care. She simply played with the fuzzy doll while her parents unpacked.

"Rory, its time for bed. Now hop on up them steps and get ready," a women with identical hair as the girl looked down, having a box in her hand hip. "I said go on now!" the child didn't need to be told thrice to get her butt moving.

Her feet clobbered up the large steps to the last room down the hall way, getting changed in pink polka dot nightgown. She simply waited for the door the creek open, and it did! A skinny, fair skinned man with rimmed glasses came into the room.

"I see someone's ready for their first day of school," the man smiled, sitting on the bed. The child nodded, smiling wildly. "Get some rest or you turn into your mother," the father said which made the daughter giggle.

The door almost closed when the child said, "g'night daddy." She turned her bedside lamp off, putting her head on the pillow and getting a nice sleep.

The next morning, the girl stood on the concrete sidewalk as she looked at the gigantic middle school. She had to make new friends again, it wasn't her forte but she had to suck it up and do it.

The whole school had eyes on the new girl coming into their classes, enough to already make whispers. She didn't care though, she had thick skin and a tough backbone to punch someone if she needed too.

When lunch was over and recess was starting, the girl stood in the smallest corner she could find and she just watched as the other kids socialized and played on the blacktop. Just of a sudden, two boys caught the attention of the child standing alone and decided it was okay to pick on her.

"Hey, what's your name?" a chubbier boy asked, the girl didn't respond.

The two analyzed her more, grumbling at themselves. "I said what your name, you stupid girl!" the boy still asked. Next, the other boy took a grab at the girls pigtail, yanking her head. She didn't scream or cry though, still looking at the playground now at a tilted angle.

"What's wrong with you? Is your brain okay, are you stupid or something!?" The boy grabbing her hair yelled right in her face, pulling it harder. Still nothing, only but a smirk was on her face now as she was in no pain.

The menace of a sixth grader pushed the child into the red dust, messing up her blue plaid dress and white sneakers. That's when the child started crying, tears streaming down her cheeks as the dust from her dress went everywhere. "Aha, the freak's crying now over her stupid dress!" The two boys laughed and pointed, most of the other children playing stopped and looked.

"Hey!" a boy yelled, making the bullies turn. "Apologize right now," the boy who now made his voice louder as he stomped closer.

The bullies shook their heads, "she's a freak! Look at her, she's so ugly!"

But then the protagonist slapped the bully across the face and punched the next boy in the stomach, the girl stopped crying long enough to know her hero was finally saving her. "Now look at you, you're the freaks that are ugly," the boy said.