seven

november 11th, 1945
barnes residence

𝙄𝙏 𝙒𝘼𝙎 𝘼𝙉 𝙉𝙊𝙍𝙈𝘼𝙇 𝘿𝘼𝙔 𝙁𝙊𝙍 Aurora. She'd wake up, eat breakfast, catch up with the news on the television. But this day, she was dancing around her kitchen as she baked a pie for a local bake sale in the local neighborhood. Something Aurora would do to catch the eye of some of the other ladies in the area and to make friends.

Aurora hummed as she put the pie crust into the pan, soon starting on to the filling. Before that she poured her self a glass of lemonade which was unusual since it was the fall in Brooklyn.

She was about to pick up the glass when a knock was on her front door. Groaning, Aurora rolled her eyes as she didn't expect anyone to be at her door this day. "Comin'" She yelled as she took off her apron, hearing another knock.

"I said I was coming!" Aurora yelling, grabbing her glass as well.

When she finally opened the door, she took a step back as she saw two bulky men in uniforms just like her husband.

"Are you Aurora Barnes, ma'am?" The older solider asked. Aurora felt a funny feeling in her stomach but she let in slide, "yes, this is she."

The two soldiers gulped at looked down, the soldier on the left turned back with something in his hands.

"Mrs. Barnes, we are sorry to interrupt you but we must inform you that your husband; James Barnes, has died on the battlefield."

That's when that strangle feeling in Aurora's stomach start to come alive, the still glass of lemonade dropped at her feet and along with her smile diminishing.

"I'm sorry? W-What did you say, sir?" Aurora's voice cracked as she miraculously lost it.

The solider on the left held out the uniform that her husband wore the last time she saw him months ago, and the remaining things that belonged to Bucky.

"I am sorry to tell you this ma'am, your husband passed away on a mission. His services are forever in his debt and we are grateful for that," the older soldier said again.

Aurora gasped, feeling her heart sink to the floor.

This isn't possible. This can't be possible! My James can not be dead, he promised!

"How-How did he, uhm, how did he die?" Aurora felt woozy, her knees were about to buckle and her head was spinning.

"From an unfortunate height from a train with Captain Rogers."

Now she wanted to throw up, Aurora clutched her stomach and her dress. She wanted to wake up from whatever nightmare this was, these officers had to be playing a joke.

Her husband fell while Steve was right there, her best friend-her brother could have saved him.

"Get out."

The soldiers looked confused, "ma'am I know this is rough-"

"Just get out, please! Please just leave, I don't want to hear any more of your shit just get the hell out!" Aurora screamed at the top of her lungs. Her head was saying a thousand words but only those came out of her mouth.

The soldiers did exactly as Aurora ordered, the one with Bucky's things dropped it into the table next to the girl. Aurora slammed the door in their faces and tears started to spill down her cheeks.

She didn't give up though, as she hit the door as hard as she could. Her tiny fits slamming against the wood, starting to bleed and bruise as she kicked, punched, and screamed.

And she didn't stop and until there was nothing else, the man she met when she was a child and soon became her husband is now dead.

She sobbed into her chest now that she pulled herself down from the door to the floor, crying until she could feel nothing. She didn't have the nerve to ask if they found his body, and she cried any harder.

How the hell did this normal day turn into one of the worse days Aurora possibly imagined? But this was the only outcome. Her best friend, her husband, the man she loved seeing in the morning and in the even, the father of her unborn children– had died.

Aurora wasn't ready to become a widow. She wasn't designed to become someone's widow. She told her husband to be safe and to never do anything stupid, and he died from a height.

The airways in her throat closed as she felt like she couldn't breathe, feeling lightheaded and the world darkening around her. It was hard to believe Aurora was alone now, never in her twenty-five years of living would she know the light that covered her darkness was gone in an instant.

Once she calmed herself down, Aurora looked at her husbands things. Bucky had tons of pictures of Aurora, all different from when they were children to their wedding day. Then took a look at his sketchbook that was nothing but Aurora doing things off guard and mundane, it made her cry harder as the smell of his uniform smelled like the same cherry cologne she always loved.

She held it tight to her chest as tears trickle down the fabric, taking it into her fingers and feeling the coldness of where Bucky used to be.

It was just like yesterday where they spent their last night together doing nothing but making love and in wrapped in each other's love, how did that mess up. Aurora was going to miss his laughter, the way Bucky could make her feel like the only girl in the universe. That sweet boy who saved her from bullies the first day of middle school was no longer here. The handsome man that bought her the engagement ring that she only looked at once, proposing in their favorite place in Brooklyn.

James Buchanan was dead.

That's all that went through Aurora's head. She had to go back to being Aurora Amelia Gallagher because her husband was dead.

They promised that they would start a family again, little Barnes' tearing up their house. They were going to have their home filled with nothing with love as they got a dog for their kids and they were going to spend the rest of their lives with each other. It was written on their vows and Bucky just left the world without her.

"You promised, James. You promised me."

AUTHORS NOTE

happy new year guys! i wanted to give you all an update in the new year

and i hope to write more soon!