Chapter 2

As she put away the journal in the top drawer of the nightstand, the phone downstairs began to ring. The answering machine picked up, and her mom's voice echoed through the silent house.

         "Hi Azzy, it's Mom. I tried to call your cell phone, but it must've been turned off. Can you come pick up the phone?" it said robotically, trying to imitate her voice.

         She bolted down the stairs to grab the phone, picking it up just before she hung up. She put her on speaker and began talking to her.

         "Hi Mom."

         "Hi Asriel. I just wanted to check in. I got worried when you didn't answer your phone," she admitted.

         "I didn't know you called. I think I left my phone in the back of the car," I replied, trying to think of where else it could be. "Either that or it's still in my box of stuff and I just didn't notice."

         "Well, we can check the backseat when I get home. I should only be about ten more minutes. I just stopped at the pizza place, so I'm on my way back now."

         "Okay, I'll get the table set up. There are plates in the cabinet, right?"

         "Yes, yes, in the cabinet next to the sink, and there are cups in the cabinet on the end of the row," she answered, more focused on the road than their conversation. "Thank you Asriel. I need to go. There's a cop up here, and I don't want to get pulled over."

         "Alright, I'll see you when you get home," I smiled. "Love you."

         "I love you too, Azzy."

         The phone in her hand beeped, and her mom's voice couldn't be heard on the other end of the line.

         After returning the phone back to its base, she walked briskly to the kitchen. Just as she had expected, everything they had brought had already found a place. The plates were neatly stacked exactly where she was told they would be, and the glass cups were lined up in perfect rows a few cabinets over. She grabbed two of each and put them on the table across from each other, just like they always do. She stood there looking at the table for a minute before turning towards the exit. Upstairs, the faint thump of footsteps broke the peaceful silence.

         "What the...?" she muttered, running to the stairwell. She paused at the bottom step, unsure what the intruder would want. What if they were dangerous? What if... "W-who's there?!"

         The footsteps paused, bringing back an eerie, empty silence to the house. She couldn't shake the awful feeling that she was being watched. Cautiously, she inched up the stairs, grasping the hand rail for dear life. Slowly but surely, she reached the top of the stairs. Flicking on the light, she blinked and looked around. She froze once she noticed it. Footprints. And they stopped right in front of her bedroom door.