Chapter 9 - Before

9:27 PM.

The numbers glowed a ghostly, ominous white on her Fitbit as she tapped its already smudged surface one last time, standing in front of the small pale yellow-coloured rectangular structure with see-through square doors and a small silver bell on top that supposedly sold old and rare books and maps.

The caliginous sky above was devoid of the light of the moon, making her feel small and alone among the trillions of stars above her. She tried to put on a brave front despite failing to convince herself that everything was going to be okay, and that she would be able to do it. She would have given anything to lay in Blake's arms at his house right then, but she couldn't.

She remembered Serene Hughes' sister - Tranquil - telling her that her grandfather worked there as the store manager.

She hoped it would be worth it, that she would find a road map to her solutions.

A map to Ash Warner, sixteen-year-old stoner and alcoholic.

Human trafficker and drug dealer.

A shiver of disgust passed through her as she recalled Ash to mind, his blonde hair, icy-blue eyes rimmed with red and his aura that Chloë had presumably chosen to ignore.

Chloë, who was quietly sleeping in her bedroom right then, who didn't know what her sister was up to. And Ruby hated keeping anything from her dear little sister.

Her eyes widened in surprise as she looked at her watch yet again, feeling surprised at how fast time passed when she was deep in thought.

9:40 PM.

She couldn't afford to waste any more time.

She stepped over the dark, wooden steps that creaked underneath her feet. As she pushed open the door, the bell on the top softly tinkling, a comforting scent of old, musty paper, polished wooden floorboards and wonderfully strong coffee hit her nostrils. She breathed it in, and it helped her to calm her nerves.

The store was small and well-maintained, and the maps, although looking quite old, weren't moth-eaten or infested with fungus as far as she was concerned. The place was divided into several sections, and there was a large bundle of maps for each.

Cosy golden lights shaped like upside-down martini glasses hung from the ceiling. A bookworm's heaven, she thought with an inward sigh. She would love to revisit this place, provided that she actually survived this night.

At the cashier's desk stood a small, old green-coloured cash register, the kind which had typewriter-like buttons and produced a high-pitched ring when opened.

Also at the desk was a thin, bald man clad in papery skin and an adorable lime-green suit who looked as old as the maps themselves.

"Hello there. May I know what brings a young lady to a store like mine?" He asked her in a kind tone as he looked at her over his half-moon glasses.

"I'm looking for maps of the warehouses at the edge of the city," she answered politely.

She appreciated the fact that he didn't pry, but just nodded and led her further inside, between rows of maps.

He picked out about twenty large ones and set them on a wooden table placed in a corner. Pulling out a chair, he motioned for her to sit.

"I won't interfere into your matters, " he said, "so you can study in peace. There's a coffee machine on the platform in the other corner if you need some. Just remember that whatever you do, be careful. You can't trust anyone these days, do you understand?"

"A certain group of people have been spying on my son and his two daughters wherever they go. They aren't aware of it yet, but I sense something bad coming."