3 | Fellow Survivors

☆Warning, these chapters contain gruesome content and may be uncomfortable for some readers☆

--

You don't remember when or how you fell asleep, but your back ached and your legs stung as soon as you stood up. After the previous night, you had managed to find a building with a fire escape on the side and climbed up. Taking shelter on the roof wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been one of those with gravel at the top, but sadly, it was. Indents rested all over your skin from laying down for too long on top of them, but you didn't care. You had finally gotten some sleep and were happy about that, even though you ached horribly from it now.

Walking over to the edge of the flat roof, you peered over the ledge and quickly took note on how the street was bare. No cars, bikes, or even people, just empty. You inhaled quickly as you turned your way over to the fire escape, your aching legs had a hard time not collapsing underneath you as you took each step very carefully. As you turned around the corner, you noticed that most of the buildings on the block had their windows shattered or door broke inwards. Of course the places would be ransacked, but that also meant someone was here and had made a ruckus. So, there were most likely monsters nearby, you just couldn't see them yet.

Crouching down in the slightest, you rushed your way down the road as quietly as possible. You couldn't bother with stopping and checking each and every building, especially after yesterday, you wouldn't allow to put yourself in a situation like that again. The memory started to resurface, but you paused and quickly shook your head to shoo it away. You couldn't risk thinking about it all right now, you couldn't have a breakdown after all that you've been through. You had to survive, you wanted to. But how much more of that will would survive if you keep witnessing such things like the night before? Shaking your head again, you didn't want to think about it.

Quickly picking up your pace down the road, you noticed a car crashed into a light pole up ahead. The front of it was still smoking, indicating that this must of happened recently. It couldn't have been last night, I would have heard it and woken up, you thought to yourself, but maybe it happened during the commotion with the lady, I wouldn't have heard it because of all of those monsters... You swallowed hard as you slowly approached the corner whilst making sure to stay far away from the crashed vehicle, you didn't want to see if someone was still inside or not. As you managed to pass the corner unharmed and unnoticed, you continued to rush down the streets in a swift manner. It wasn't long, however, when your aching legs started to get to you. The burning sensation of your muscles giving way underneath you startled you as you fell to the ground, you didn't know what to do other than to lay there in the middle of the road. Glancing your head around, you noted that nothing had seemed to see or hear you, so you decided that taking a short break couldn't hurt.

You stared up to the bright, blue sky and took a deep breath of air. Looking at the world from this angle, it seems as though nothing has happened. It was like you were laying down at a beach all by yourself, but of course, without the ocean. It was surprisingly peaceful and for just a moment, you felt as though everything was going to be all right.

That is until you heard a group of yelling boys running down the street in your direction did you snap back into reality.

Startled now, you sat up suddenly and saw a group of three people rushing towards you. One was shorter than the other two, a black mask covering his lower face as his backpack hopped up and down on his back, it was too loose. The other boy to his right had red hair and was obviously much taller than the short one, his eyes wild as he dashed up the road. The third boy who had short black hair and a backpack crossed across his chest held a bat tightly in his hands as they approached you. Wait, do they think I'm a monster?! You wildly pushed yourself off of the ground and got up, running in the opposite direction. "Wait?! You're not dead?!" The boy with red hair yelled out as you clearly outran them a few steps. You stopped and face them, your eyes wide as you heaved out a gasp, "Of course not, you idiot!" You yelled out without thinking, you were clearly not paying attention to how loud you were being.

The short boy huffed, his arms crossing against his chest as he stared you down, "Who just collapses in the middle of the road?" He questioned, his eyes now staring into your own. Deciding to slowly approach them, you walked closer and shrugged, "My legs gave out under me, I've been running for days." The tall, black-haired boy looked you over and noticed that your jeans were scraped open from your fall. Your knees were bleeding and you didn't even notice. "Your legs," He gestured to them with his bat, his tense eyes now softening as he noticed you were injured. "Huh? Oh," You looked down and saw red staining the surface of your pants where your knees were, your brows furrowing in the process, "I don't even feel it."

"Jeez, c'mon. Let's just leave her, we don't need another mouth to feed!" The short boy exclaimed suddenly, his arms shooting up into the air to exaggerate his statement. The black-haired boy shook his head and looked over, "What would Lawrence do in this situation?" The other tall boy, the red-head, huffed and closed his eyes, "He'd probably take her with us, and Harry would probably enforce that, too." The quieter, tall boy nodded his head, his eyes quickly looking back over to you and meeting your gaze. The short boy groaned out, "But we're not them, and they're also not here! We don't have to be like them!" The red-head smirked and shook his head, "Yeah, but, do you know how mad Lawrence and Harry might be if they find out we abandoned an injured girl?"

Starting to get lost in the conversation, you looked away and glanced around you. Other than the conversation the three boys were now having, something else was getting louder. It was like a loud hiss in the air and you could smell something, "Gas?" You had questioned out, your nose pointing up to the air to see if you were smelling it correctly. You were. That car you passed earlier exploded behind the four of you, the loud sound and the bright fire distracted you entirely from the people standing in front of you. "We have to go, now!" The red-head had exclaimed, his hand quickly shooting out and grasping your own as he pulled you along with the other boys. You all ran, and you knew why.

The sound and the fire was bound to attract some attention, and not the attention anyone wants.

You saw them, the monsters, shambling out of their shadowy hiding places. You mumbled as your own grasp grew tighter in the boy's hand, "Shit."