Chapter T̛͓̲͙͎̘̈̽̔̉w̠͕͎̏̓͌̂͠ͅͅơ͈͔̦̺͛̅̓́͜

Master Wolfe

He is taking up my precious time. I thought as I blew out a cloud of smoke irritably. I could never rely on him to be anywhere on time. Only earlier he asked to see me precisely 1:25 PM. Now it was well over past 1:40.

The flickering light from the lanterns enlarged my shadow, making me seem like a part of my throne. The candles gave the illusion of elongating objects and making them look animated; it was a sight that could lull anyone to sleep. My eyes sleepily studied my surroundings; it was a bare but spacious room with two, windows placed on both sides that overlooked the property; it was not very bright, however, due to the dark and sinister clouds that had accumulated the day before and had stayed there since this morning.

The only piece of furniture in the entire room was my throne. It was passed down from generation to generation, father to father, Master to Master. The throne itself was made out of wood, but it was made comfortable by soft cushions underneath and was covered by approximately six layers of silk. Over the years it grew worn, but it still felt soft and I sat on it often with delight.

I glared at my pipe, placed the tip in my mouth, and pulled my watch out from my pocket, but before I could look at the time, an old man came bursting in through the door. "You are late," I grumbled, finally looking at my watch. It was pointing to 2:21 instead of 1:25, the time he was supposed to be in this cursed room. "Once again."

The old man's name was Baine van Addams. I hated him more than I hated evil itself. He was seventy-two years of age, beyond due and past his prime. His gray hair glowed vermilion from the lanterns in the room, his wrinkles deepened, his brown eyes were cast on me and his suit was dirty, blotched with soot and dirt. What a revolting sight. I thought in deep disgust as he approached me, his shadow flickering.

"Am I?" he asked me in his thick Dutch accent.

I slammed the watch down on the throne's armrest and leaned forward, making the rickety old throne protest loudly. "You are the one who wanted to talk," I spat.

"Yes; of course, Master Wolfe." Baine gave me a little bow. I scoffed and put the pipe back in my mouth.

"Speak."

"We have a bit of a plight."

"Oh?"

"I have been..." he paused, looking for the correct word. "exhausted."

"So have I," I replied dryly. Baine gave me a nettled glance before continuing. "We...could do with more people," he said hesitantly. I leaned forward in my chair further, tapping the tip of my pipe against my bottom lip.

"I think we should obtain servants."

I stared at Baine incredulously as I blew out a last puff of smoke. "Servants?"

Baine nodded.

The corners of my lips went up. "Oh, poor, poor Baine...you are getting old. So old to the point where you cannot even do a few simple tasks."

Baine's eyes flashed with anger.

"Allow me to tell you something Baine," I said, getting up and striding towards him. "I am being fair to you. I provide everything you require: food, money, clothes...you are lucky. In return, you take care of the manor..." I gave him a disappointed scowl. "like you are supposed to. But here you are, whining and moaning about slaves and how you are too weak to handle anything." I put my hand on his shoulder and lead him towards the door. "I do not want you in here any longer, Baine. Our conversation is over and you have gotten your answer."

But he pushed my hand away, a new light dancing in his eyes. "But think about it, Master Wolfe! You could have things done so much faster–"

"I said no, Baine." But the thought churned in my mind–as much as I hated to admit it, he did have a good point.

Baine grunted, "This could help us."

"Help you more like it," I smiled, derision dripping off from my voice. "I really do not see how it would benefit much for me. You are getting elderly and weak; face it, Baine."

But Baine was persistent. "I am not enough for a whole manor, Master Wolfe. You barely do anything, except isolate yourself, feeling sorry."

Fury wormed inside my stomach.

"You know exactly why I seclude myself from people," I said through clenched teeth. "You are afraid," Baine ignored me, triumph sparkling in his eyes. He knew where he hit me.

I said nothing and put the pipe back in my mouth.

We stood in silence, the smoke from my pipe filling the air around us. Baine's nose scrunched up against the smoke as if he were breathing toxic gas; he was not used to me smoking like a chimney on days like these. He almost never went in here unless it was an emergency or he asked to see me, which was very rare. "It is not good for him" my father always used to tell Baine when I was a young stripling. They both knew about my smoking problem and it got worse and worse as the years progressed. But I did not care at all back then, nor did I care now.

"I will think about it." I murmured finally. Baine gave me a boastful smirk.

"Or maybe I will give you my answer immediately." I wanted to wipe that putrid smile off his face.

"Then tell me, Master Wolfe," his smile now replaced with a peeved frown.

"No," I responded, deliberately sending a wave of smoke in his face; he held my gaze but couldn't suppress a few coughs. "Leave me, Baine. Our conversation is over."

Baine slapped both of his hands on my shoulder and shook me. "What must I do to convince you?! Is it only me or do you not realize how this might actually help us? While I do all your filthy work, you sit your ass in that throne all day, without a care in the world!"

I gripped one of his arms roughly, my nails digging into his skin, and pushed him away from me, my hand still locked in a tight hold. As fear flashed in his eyes, I felt a twinge satisfaction. "Careful," I dug my nails in harder, making his face twist in pain. "Disobeying your master can lead to quite dangerous consequences," I emphasized.

I removed my hand and noticed four small, red cuts that were deep in his skin. Intense satisfaction coursed through me; the old man's skin was so frail, it did not take much for it to get bruised or wounded.

I put my hand behind his back again and shoved him towards the door. "Leave me now, Baine. Our conversation is finished." Baine turned around just as I slammed both of the doors in his face. I locked it and waited until I heard his footsteps departing as he stomped away into the hall.

As I went back to my throne, I let out a string of curses. Foolish old pig! I banished the thought of even considering obtaining slaves. I do not want any slaves, nor do I need any. Baine deserves the wretched part he has to play and it is his responsibility to take care of the manor if it pleases him or not! 

I sunk down on my throne, seized my scepter and ran my index finger on the design. How much I hated that man. That stupid, selfish man. My father was an utter fool to make him deputy. I rested my chin on the palm of my hand, covered the rest of my face with my fingers, and blew out the last of the smoke that remained in my mouth.