✺1✺

1994

1994

LosAngeles

"Ashanti it is time for school! you do not want to be late for your first day of 8th grade yea?"

I groan in despair dreading the day ahead.

Of course I wanted to get a great education and make my parents proud as that's what they came to america for in the first place.

But was it worth the emotional suffering I would be put through for another shitty year?

I tried to slowly stand, my head growing dizzy at the the thought of the upcoming day ahead.

my feet tickled the warm carpet floor as I took a deep breath in taking in my appearance.

I was extremely skinny with tooth pick arms and slim legs.

I hated my body's shape but the excuse everyone made for it to cheer me up was,

"at least you can be a model!"

I mean that's a good compliment but there was totally no way. I could never see myself standing in front of a camera making kissy faces and moving my body in uncomfortable ways.

I searched my drawer for an at least kind of "cool" out fit, but because of my families lack of money the most i could come up with was a black and white plaid skirt, a black long sleeve, and and a pair of barley presentable black all stars.

"good enough," I thought to myself pulling the shirt over my head.

After lacing up my sneakers and taking one last look at myself with a furrowed look before sighing and grabbing my book bag.

I came down to a plate of fufu awaiting me at the table and my brother gobbling down a bowl of "Trix" in front of the tv while watching power ranger.

"Hey Ti look! I'm eating in front of the tv imma big boy now!" My littler brother cooed as I gave him a nod.

I bent down in front of him and smiled, "my little mans going to 5th grade! Im so proud of you Kwasi!"I said giving him a peck on the nose.

"You better eat before your food gets cold! You know Amaras gonna be here any min-

* b҉u҉z҉z҉ ! *

"Cmon slow poke we're gonna miss our bus!" I heard the small voice speak into the mic.

I quickly buzzed her in, sitting down to eat my food quickly.

A knock soon persisted at the door as I told Kwasi to open it with a mouthful of food in my mouth.

Amara greeted him with open arms spinning him around before greeting  my mother with a wide smile.

"I'm done let's go" I said lowly grabbing my shabby skateboard from against the wall.