{3} NOT YOUR TYPICAL KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR, BABE {3}

This cover was another runner up by the wonderful bellaschneeb

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PERCY JACKSON

"Oh crap, crap, crap," Annabeth mumbled under her breath.

I squeezed her hand as we sped through the airport. "Don't worry, Annabeth," I assured, "we aren't going to miss our flight."

She picked up the pace, causing me to practically run to keep up.

We had accidentally overstayed our welcome in California and Annabeth was sincerely concerned about us running late and not making our flight back to New York. I may have been the cause of the dilemma by falling asleep at the beach, and my girlfriend wasn't the happiest. I hated having Annabeth upset with me, so I was doing my best to keep her calm and deflect her anger.

We eventually made it to the line where they checked our tickets and luggage, but luckily since we only had carry-ons we got to speed through it. Annabeth was essentially sprinting to get to the area with the metal detectors where they check carry-on bags.

Less than twenty minutes later, we plopped down in our airplane seats.

I grinned. "We made it," I teased, nudging Annabeth's arm.

She crossed her arms over her chest and narrowed her eyes at me. "You are so lucky we didn't miss this flight. What do you think the words 'we're on a time crunch, be ready to leave as soon as possible' mean?" she grumbled.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't act like I'm the only one in the wrong. Yes, I fell asleep, but who was the one who sat staring at me for almost an hour instead of waking me up?"

Annabeth's cheeks flushed and she blew a strand of blonde hair out of her face. "Whatever."

I smirked and gently grabbed her jaw with my fingertips, angling her head toward me. "I love you," I whispered.

"Mhmm," she hummed, acting angry. I could tell she wasn't upset anymore because her grey eyes glinted happily and mischievously.

I pressed a quick kiss to her lips. "But seriously, I'm sorry I made us late. You aren't too mad, are you?"

Annabeth sighed and gently shook her head. "No, it's okay. I overreacted, but you know that's just how I am."

She never pulled away, and our faces had less than an inch of air separating them. I could see every freckle dusting her nose, every swirl of colors in her eyes and every lash covering them. 

I smiled slightly. "Yeah, it's just another one of your cute little quirks."

Annabeth leaned back so a respectable amount of space was between us. "Oh yeah? And what are some of those quirks?"

I dramatically sighed and pretended to count on my fingers. "There are just so many strange things about you, I couldn't even list them all if I tried."

"Well, you never were the best at math," she teased.

My mouth popped open. "That one hurts, Wise Girl. You know where it hurts?" I grabbed her hand and held it over my heart. "Right here."

She laughed. "Your heart still beats fast like when we were unknowingly flirting in sophomore year," she noted.

"I have heart problems," I joked.

Annabeth grinned. "Sure you do, Seaweed Brain."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------