{15} I'M INSECURE AND KNOW EXACTLY WHAT FOR {15}

PERCY JACKSON

After arguably the best sleep of my life, I woke up with a face full of lemon-scented hair. Taking in a deep breath, I smiled as I recognized who the fresh-smelling blonde locks belonged to. My girlfriend, dressed in my shirt, was draped along my body, essentially hugging me in her sleep.

As I slowly gained consciousness, I methodically rubbed my hand along Annabeth's back. Recollecting last night's event, I slowly grew angry. Tracing meaningless shapes on the back of her shirt soothed me, preventing me from blowing up.

I couldn't believe how close Annabeth was to being raped. My own girlfriend was sexually assaulted and violated and I wasn't there to stop it. I knew coming to California would introduce new risks, but I didn't expect one to greet us during our first week here.

I sighed, trying to pull my attention away from those negative thoughts. California was nice. It was a fresh start - a new beginning. We just had to make the best of it.

A deep grumble came from the petite girl laying on my chest and I smiled. She wriggled around, trying to get comfortable again, and nuzzled her head into the crook of my neck.

I cradled one hand against the back of her head as my other continued to rest on her back. "Morning, beautiful."

Annabeth grunted in response, causing a low chuckle to bubble up from my chest. 

"How are you feeling?" I asked her.

"Terrible," she admitted. "Headache. Stomach ache. Everything aches."

I kissed the crown of her head. "I'm sorry. I wish I could take the pain away."

She sighed and hugged me closer. "An ibuprofen would help."

I smiled. "I would go get you one if you let me go," I stated teasingly.

Annabeth whined, "But I'm comfy."

I kept rubbing her back for another couple minutes before informing her that I was taking the hike to the kitchen, letting her know she was welcome to join me. Begrudgingly, she shuffled along beside me down the labyrinth of hallways leading to Jason's kitchen.

For some reason, I was surprised to see the blond himself seated at the kitchen island, munching on a bowl of cereal.

"Morning, Jase," I greeted.

He looked up at us. "Oh, hey, guys. Sleep well?"

I nodded and looked down at Annabeth, who scrunched up her nose. "As good as I expected to, given the circumstances," she related.

He smiled. "Feel free to raid the cupboards for anything you need. We've got cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, toast, anything you want."

"Painkillers?" I inquired.

Jason hopped off of his barstool. "Yeah, I'll grab some. Make yourselves at home," he instructed, heading over to a cabinet to find some medicine.

Annabeth sat herself at the far right barstool, leaving a gap between her and where my cousin had been sitting.

"You want something to eat?" I asked her.