Chapter 41: Little While

"Need to not see each other for a little while?" I ask in a whisper, almost scared to hear his answer.

He nodds slowly, his chin on my head.

I don't respond.

"It would only be temporary, kid. Maybe just a few weeks or so. Until things calmed down a bit for both of us."

I still don't respond, my mind at war with itself.

"And I'm not saying we won't see each other at all, probably just a bit less. And we could still talk on the phone and to figure everything out. "

I continue not to talk, still thinking.

"Jesus kid, say something!" He says worriedly, and my brain wakes up out of its fog.

"Sorry," I apologize, not looking at him. "And I think..." I move closer to him and swallow the lump in the throat.

"...I think you're right. I don't fucking think we have a choice."

"I'm sorry kid. I just don't see any other option here. Unless you've got any other ideas?" He looks to me hopefully, but I shake my head glumly.

"Sorry...I've got nothing."

"Dammit," he mutters under his breath, and his arm tightens around me.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry about all of this..." I apologize, feeling tears form under my eyelids.

"It's not your fault babe," he says gently, and for some reason that sets me over the edge. A tear rolls down my face, and I wipe it away quickly.

"I know," I sniffle, and he stands me up, pulling me into a hug.

"Don't cry love, it's all going to work out in the end," he says into my ear quietly, and another tear rolls down my face.

"I know," I whisper into his chest. "I'm just gonna miss you..."

"Hey, hey, hey, hang on a mintue!" He whispers loudly, pulling away to look at me. "We'll still talk, hell, I'll call you 10 times a day if you want."

Despite my tears, I smile softly, and he hugs me tightly again. "By the time things go back to normal you'll be sick of me."

"Promise?" I say, partially joking, but his arms tighten around me.

"I promise, baby. I promise by the time things calm down, you'll be so fucking sick of me you'll wish things weren't normal."

I grin and look into his green eyes.

"Good, cause I like you too much anyways."

He chuckles softly at that, and opens his mouth to say something, then freezes.

"Wha-" I start quickly, but he holds up a hand.

"Shh..." He says quietly, and I see him listening intently, so I do it as well.

"-seemed upset, maybe she came down her-"

My heart starts pounding and I turn to Billie, swearing.

They're looking for me!

"Shit, shit, shit!"

His face echos my concern, and I rack my brain to think of a plan.

Think, goddammit, think!

I snap my fingers as an idea strikes me.

"I'll be back. Stay here if you want, but don't hesitate to leave. I don't want you to get in trouble," I say quickly and quietly, giving him a brief hug, and he kisses my forehead.